Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Backfire into the intake, advise needed please

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 11:44 AM
JT-Texas
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backfire into the intake, advise needed please

I have a 01 roadking,, it had sat around 2 years prior to my purchasing it. I have replace pump, regulator , inner tank lines and cleaned the injectors along with the high and low pressure lines. It started and ran good and rode well.
The New Problem, it started running rough and popping. I sprayed carb cleaner around the intake Seals and found front seal leaking. I have replaced seals twice with OEM seals. Now I replaced them with genuine James seal and used the alignment tool. All because the leak continued to happen. Compression test at WOT is 145 on both cylinders.
Now it is backfiring into the intake intermittently. I can see actual flame in the front intake when it happens.
Valves or ignition problem????
Advice, ideas, suggestions appreciated

Old 02-18-2018, 06:56 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Does it have pipes or air cleaner - it is stock, has it been flashed - this is easy if you provide all the details - including when exactly did it start.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:44 PM
JT-Texas
6th Gear

It has a v&h pro pipe and a k&N air filter

Old 02-18-2018, 09:06 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

If it has those mods, it's lean (especially at idle) and the sneeze is because of that.

If it hasn't been reflashed, and the fuel pressure is good, you can set the base TP to .195v

That means all cables and fast idle backed off, then you loosen the tp and adjust. Also, on that system, you need to verify the not on the cable side bell crank is not falling off.

Marellis are so easy, but very mis-understood.

The following users liked this post:
FLTRI17 (02-24-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 09:31 PM
JT-Texas
6th Gear

Thank you, I will reset the TP to 195 but I'm not sure what you mean regarding the bell crank.
I doubt that it has been reflashed and have no idea where yo get that done. The nearest HD shop is 100 miles away.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:25 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by JT-Texas
Thank you, I will reset the TP to 195 but I'm not sure what you mean regarding the bell crank.
I doubt that it has been reflashed and have no idea where yo get that done. The nearest HD shop is 100 miles away.
Look at the nut where the mechanisms for the throttle cables are - they have issues.

Regarding setting the base TP - if you have never done this, I would advise thoroughly understanding it before you try. You will need a scan tool or you will need to back probe the TP with a voltmeter.

You will also need to understand how to reset your hot and cold idles.

Also, from your mods, I would advise getting a powercommander installed by a qualified tuner and having a dual cylinder map written. The base programming is not optimized for your combination. Assuming you have a true pro pipe and not the propipe bp (blue proof)

Old 02-19-2018, 03:09 PM
JT-Texas
6th Gear

I believe it is a true pro pipe. All the times I have had the intake off, I have not noticed an issue with linkage (bell crank). I Wil have to look into the power commander and see where I can get that done.
I have set the hot and cold idles with volt/ohm meter. I saw a video about this (tps) adjustment. I will check the service manual also.
From your information, I'm guessing that my issue is from a lack of tuning and not from a sensor , valve or leak. That would be encouraging if this is the case.

The reason for the exhaust is, the previous owner had a cobbled together pipe on the bike and the intake was already present. ( inherited problems)
It will probably take me sometime to perform all of these fixes, time & money permitting ( 53 yr old college student after a layoff)
thank you for your advise and time, it appreciated

Old 02-19-2018, 03:15 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

MM twin cams when set to .195 made up for a lot of lean sneezing. Bike is definitely not optimized if stock map and that pipe.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:30 PM
JT-Texas
6th Gear

Thanks again, I am looking for someone that can take care of the mapping & looking into a tuner.. I will rest the tips soon.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:08 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

If your base tp is higher than .195 and it's sneezing, don't lower it. Most were set at .150ish -.175 from factory.

Quick Reply: Backfire into the intake, advise needed please