Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2002 FLHRI Ignition/Fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 06:01 PM
photocycle
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The broken fuel pressure regulator housing is what happened to my friend's. I am so thankful that you pointed me in that direction as it caused me to pause and remember his problem and go talk to him. I did not have the adapter to fit my fuel pressure gauge or the money to buy a new one so I was hesitant to pull the pump and filter out. Now I feel confident to do that.

Thanks again!

p.s. I will post the results of my efforts

Old 09-08-2018, 04:20 PM
photocycle
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update: Fixed!

I promised a post to detail the fix when/if it happened!
Turns out it was the fuel pressure regulator housing was cracked and was the major culprit. I'm at that age where my eyesight is getting worse by the day and I could not see the crack. Fortunately, one of my friends mechanics examined it for me and showed me the tiny crack in the housing. FYI, that housing could be changed (on my bike) without pulling out the whole assembly provided you could reuse the old fuel line or had a new one handy.

However, other problems became apparent as I went along. I have a friend who runs an auto repair shop and he checked the amperage pull on my old pump and it was off the chart. So that meant a new fuel pump. Of course the submersible lines were hard and brittle and needed replacing and while I was in there, I changed the fuel pressure regulator and filter.

I have attached a photo of the parts changed out and the prices I paid. I am very disappointed in The Motor Company! Can you imagine, $100, tax included, for a fuel filter?? Oh, well, this is definitely my last Harley and at my age, probably my last bike.

I hope this helps someone. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions! I really appreciate the community here!

Last minute edit: The fuel pressure regulator Aftermarket price was $17.45 delivered to my house.

Last edited by photocycle; 09-08-2018 at 04:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rroofner (08-20-2022)