Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2013 Street Glide misfire HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Ss69camaro7
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Street Glide misfire HELP!!!!!

So the story begins with I have a 2013 Street Glide that I bought two years ago and never had a problem out of it until now. It all started when I went to Panama City Beach for bike week, I stopped and filled up with gas on the strip using the same pump my father used and all was well till the next morning I woke up to go riding and about 30min in the bike starting bucking and I could tell I had a misfire. We stopped to get some food and when pulling in the damn thing sounded like it was running off of one cylinder and I had a 20min ride back to the hotel in traffic. All the way back I was fighting with the bike cutting in and out really bad and once I got moving like 30-40 I could lay in the throttle hard and it would pull itself just fine but at a idle or slow steady speed back to bucking like a bronco. So I get back home from bike week thinking I got bad gas, I emptied the gas tank and mixed seafoam with 110 and 93 half and half and it seemed to help. I left the bike overnight at a buddy's house who rode it the next day and it started running better just a lil sputter or misfire every once and a while. So I rode it to bike night twice and to work three times and now my problem has showed back up again. I thought it was because of the EMITS but I have that disabled and I have never had it on, I have also changed the engine temp sensor with no luck. I'm lost guys I see so many post on here about a problem like mine but 90% never come back with the solution. The plugs, rocker box gaskets, and oil were changed two weeks before we left for bike week and it ran great. Does this sound like it could be my ignition coil or what other problems are people having with 2013 model 103's. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Ss69camaro7; 08-11-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:03 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,255 Likes on 3,627 Posts

I'd check for loose injector wire or plug wire rubbing against tank, Make sure the plug wires are clear. Wiggle the wires on the injects while idling. Also pull plug caps make sure they are clean and plug tops tight. You can try and dump codes. See if there are any.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:49 PM
Ss69camaro7
Intermediate

Got home and cranked the bike up letting it idle and could see a slight flame coming out of my rear exhaust pipe. Then after it warmed up it went right to the rear cylinder cutting in and out in and out then it sounds like the rear cylinder completely cuts out and I started wiggling the spark plug wires at the coil and it started to fire again but still in and out. Pulled the codes and it was P0151 lean rear o2. I put a new plug wire on the rear and had the same result.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:27 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Any exhaust leak on the rear cylinder? Exhaust tight at the head?
Is the O2 sensor tight in the rear exhaust?

Both of those will allow air into the exhaust leading to lean O2 sensor reading.
That will cause the rear cylinder to run rich. What does the rear plug look like?

Old 08-12-2018, 08:28 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,255 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Rear head pipe don't look very long. It wouldn't surprise me that the rear cylinder sensor reads lean.. How long have you had the pipes on the bike and how many miles. I would have expected that whomever tuned the bike disabled o2 sensing.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:40 AM
Ss69camaro7
Intermediate

The bike has had the LAF pipes on it since I bought it and I figured the exhaust is the reason for the O2 sensor being lean. The bike had 36000 miles when I bought it but now has 50000 but the motor was rebuilt by a Harley company up north the Harley dealership owner built the bike. I’ve never had a problem out of it until this past may at bike week.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:07 PM
Ss69camaro7
Intermediate

No exhaust leaks anywhere and O2 sensor tight I’ll pull rear plug when I get home from work and let you know.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:09 PM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Ss69camaro7
I emptied the gas tank and mixed seafoam with 110 and 93 half and half and it seemed to help.

Was the 110 a leaded racing gasoline?

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Ss69camaro7
Intermediate

Yes but after that I rode 3 tanks of 93 through it just fine with no issue

Old 08-13-2018, 04:30 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

read up on how to reset your throttle. there is a sequence for turning the bike on and off, but i don't remember it exactly off the top of my head. it will reset the throttle position sensor so that the bike knows what is idle and what is not, i've heard of similar complaints as yours and this was what it actually was. some people shut the bike off with their hand still on the throttle, keeping it partially open, and some have it partially open at start up, this kinda whacks the ecm and throttle module out so it doesn't know where to start from.
also might remove and clean and grease the harness connector at the throttle module.
m

Quick Reply: 2013 Street Glide misfire HELP!!!!!