Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

X14ied for stage 1?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 01:15 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Default X14ied for stage 1?

For my 2007 XL1200L since it came to me with an SE intake installed, was wondering if these http://sales.nightrider.com/x14ied.html would work to allow me to install a set of SE slipons and not run lean. Are they too good to be true?

I'd rather not have to buy a tuner if possible, and am not opposed to factory flash if need be, but this is cheaper.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

For my Buell Firebolt I bought a Dobeck Performance tuner, which has adjustment built in via push buttons. Not as hi-tech as a 'proper' tuner, but has worked fine for me, for several years now.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:11 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Trying to avoid the self tuning route. CA will most assuredly someday do emission testing on ECM controlled bikes, and will not allow aftermarket tuners. They already have done that to diesel vehicles, so bikes are next.

This state would not surprise me if they start emission testing our lawnmowers.

Getting off topic, but those are my reasons for not wanting something easily removable. I guess I will most likely end up with a HD reflash since they are 50 state certified.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

CA is probably distracted by the smoke at present - darned well should be! There is no simple solution to adjusting or tuning our bikes IMHO. A dealer flash is pretty painless, so I suggest you do that. If it doesn't work out too well give the dealer another chance, or bite the bullet and get your bike properly tuned by a decent tuning shop.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:31 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Yea there is a LOT this state SHOULD be dealing with but.....

Personally I would love a PROPERLY tuned bike but the nearest dealer is almost 50 miles away, and I would not have a clue who to trust to tune. I guess I will have to start networking around to see if someone knows. I can start with my mailman. He's President of a MC club called the Mullocks, got a couple hundred members at least. Might be my best place to start. No desire to join something like that but he probably know someone that can tune properly.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I'm fortunate, with a qualified Harley tech just a few miles away. There's not a lot he can't sort out, also has plenty of experience of Evo big twins, which is a bonus. Best of luck on the tuning front. There are a few sections of HDF like the Regional, etc, where you may get help finding a good indy.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:14 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Yea will have to start looking around, so I know where to go when I upgrade the pipes.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

Then there's the Hammer 1275 kit.....

Old 11-26-2018, 11:45 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Needless to say you are trying to patch together a proper tune. There is no comparison between adding do-dads to a system in hopes it/they will recalibrate the system for the normal, expected, variables introduced by production parts.
ie: The fuel injectors have a +/- 12% variance so it’s rediculous to assume an add-on part will correct/recalibrate for production variances.
This is why some add-ons work fairly well while others struggle to improve run quality at all.
Just a much better solution and you would be much happier to get it properly tuned/recalibrated.
Bob

Old 11-26-2018, 02:34 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

First off I am not trying to do anything. I simply asked the question, because others on this site have recommended that product, and I wanted other opinions. I fully realize that what that part does is supply more fuelwhile telling the ecm it is supplying the amount it calls for. It is a patch and I simply asked if it really worked.

Also as I have tried to explain, getting tuned, other than the dealer, is probably not going to happen. I would love it if performance shops were all over the place, but that is partly the price I pay for living in the country. That plus the closest HD dealer, closed a year ago. So because of all this I wondered if the x14ied was worth it.

Sure a quality aftermarket tune is ideal, but CA epa and carb are shutting those doors just about as fast as they open, and when smog tested (every 2years) if they detect unauthorized (by them) tampering with ecm's they will not certify. They do not CURRENTLY test motorcycles, but as I mentioned, if it has an ecm, my guess is it is right around the corner. So in trying to avoid wasting hundreds of $$$ on a handheld tuner that will end up useless, I am exploring all possible ideas.

I have also read of somecthat were unsatisfied even with HD stage 1 tuning so I am exploring options.

Quick Reply: X14ied for stage 1?