Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Do I NEED an FP3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 02:00 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
I have taken too many of these off to find this statement to be true. I literally use them for door stops.

I would ask the people that have answered to this topic a couple of question. It is stated that this device will cool down the engine. How? Does it allow you to target different air fuel ratio's? Does it do this with timing? Is it just the cooling that comes along with a stage 1 and the removal of cats. Is this felt heat off the engine or is this actually being seen in the data with engine and head temps?

Another one I am real intrigued with. Why don't professional tuners recommend this tuning device? Why would their opinion be blown off with this subject? Why would their day in and day out experience and knowledge acquired not be heeded on this subject?

To paraphrase an old school tuning professional. The best you have is the best you know but not necessary the best.
Harley Davidson motorcycles leave the factory running extremely lean..... This is by design so they pass EPA restrictions. This is not a new revelation but pretty much general knowledge. ANY kind of fuel tuner applied to them with richen up the air to fuel ratio. I’m sure I don’t need to explain what happens to an air cooled motor when it has more fuel added to the mixture. As far as heat guns and thermal dynamics and all that crap goes..... I rode my bike off the showroom floor with less than 20 miles on the odometer. I kept it completely stock for the 1st thousand miles. Then I did the stage 1 with the FP3. This ain’t my 1st H-D or my 1st motorcycle for that matter so I don’t need quantum physics to discern a noticeable difference amount of heat coming off the engine. My right leg does the trick just fine! Exhaust.... High flow air filter.......and Fuel tuner..... that’s a stage 1. It’s a combination of ALL 3 so you can’t say it’s affected by the cats or the air filter alone the fuel tuner has a part in as well.

The FP3 has an auto tune feature where it maps out the fuel cells and adjusts the air to fuel ratio. This graph chart is displayed and looks similar to any other fuel graph chart. Shows rpm throttle position etc. The reason why professional tuners don’t recommend em is because it doesn’t add $$$ to their pocket!!! Why would anybody who owns a business recommend a product that eliminates the need for them!?!? I’ve seen and know several guys who pay hundreds on a tuner then hundreds to get it dyno tuned. Let’s not kid ourselves most guys who do this aren’t going to the drag strip or the track.... They are going to the bar!!! We are talking about 800+ Pound 70 something HP motorcycles not Ducati Moto GP

Currently I own a 15RGS and a 03 Hayabusa drag bike with Nitrous. Roughly 230 HP when the shot kicks in. Guess which 1 has a dyno tune..... Guess which 1 NEEDS a dyno tune and which 1 has the FP3. My Roadglide runs fine on the FP3. Doesn’t backfire and cruises down the highway just like any other H-D. If I was to do motor work If I wanted to drag race it If I was to wanna brag and show off a number off a dyno chart then YES that’s when I would get it dyno’d. But that ain’t this and this ain’t that......

The following users liked this post:
Rockin C (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 03:11 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Sounds like you got it figured out. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:24 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

While it maybe sort of does kinda what it says on the tin (actually mine came in a wee black box that said nowt but never mind) and does indeed have an auto tune feature ...why do V&H say to run a tank or two of fuel through, it the auto tune is (cough) supposed to map out the fuel VE table cells and adjust the air fuel ratio's richen up the AFR table a bit.

And for the record, the PV and TTS also have auto VE table mapping capabilities and can be used DIY without a trip to a tuning shop either. Without a decent computer interface or decent software a tuning shop can't do much with it, unless they whip their phone/tablet out and get their feet up in front of the fire with a supply of pop corn and a couple of six packs.

It is what it is, and each to their own, but it absolutely ain't rocket science, no

oh and 14.7 isn't exactly "extremely" lean either, most vehicles are probably running that at some point on their maps.

anyhoo... like I said, ain't social media great

Old 11-30-2018, 06:12 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Gordon61
14.7 isn't exactly "extremely" lean either, most vehicles are probably running that at some point on their maps.

anyhoo... like I said, ain't social media great
He has a 2015. He is dealing in lambda and E10. Lambda of 1 equals 14.25 AFR. Now we can argue up to 10%. Ok but that still isn't going to be 14.7. I only see lean or rich to a target. I have no idea what extremely lean even mean. I hear on these forums about extremely lean and see it regurgitated over and over. More bro science than truth. I need a tuner because it is lean. No, you need a tuner because you changed the airflow through the engine and the VE tables need to be mapped. That is what the FP3 does. It helps you map VE's. That's about 50% of it, and not enough for me to even call it a tune.

BTW, No, you don't have to worry about different AFR for different fuel with narrow bands. A lambda of 1 is always 450mV. The ECM only know if the sensors are putting out a higher or lower voltage to the target voltage.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:27 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

you're right of course but I was trying to leave the rocket science out of it

Mind you, delving in a bit deeper, the FP3 map for a 2015 touring gives you an AFR table to edit ...in AFR, not Lambda ...and it sets the bulk of it to 14.40.

Spot on though, as I recall my experience, auto mapping the VE tables wasn't even close to getting it to run good at all.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:28 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

If we wanted to go down the science worm hole. I'd bring up latent heat, and actual volume of fuel needed to change from lambda of 1 to .988. Then we could really see the cooling affect of all this fuel that has to be added. Might not be rocket science and it isn't quantum physics but let's not throw out scientific law completely.

AFR with tuners is just a scaling for human interface. The sensors and ECM only know mV. If the fp3 is showing AFR. I'm sure it is for gasoline. So, you still aren't getting a good representation of what is really going on with the actual fuel we have available in the US. This makes blanket statements on extremely lean even more troublesome, and the reason most deal in lambda.

Example. 14.4 with gasoline would have a switching voltage of 785mV and a lambda of .981. With e10. It would actually be targeting an AFR of 13.98. Lambda and mV staying the same.

IME with dealing with e90 and e95 fuels is that it takes about 30% more volume of this fuel to hit the ratios that are requested. Back to latent heat. Also corn is a natural knock retard agent. IE slower burning. More fuel equals even slower burning. That will equate to less power and responsiveness. The big plus for this is the ability to add more compression and more timing advance. This goes back to my opinion of just addressing VE's isn't a complete tune.

Had a customer with a nice 95 hippo build. He wanted to do a hp shootout at local dealer. He showed up all ready with a secret weapon. He filled his tank with 110 plus. No other changes. He was down about 10hp and was upset. He swung by and I drained his fuel. Put pump gas back into it and made some pulls. Power was right where it was suppose to be. Timing is so important to making power and yet. Rarely talk about by anybody, and nothing I know on the market that state auto tune addresses it.

Can a stock bike improve with a pro tune? Yes. Will a stage 1 run better with a pro tune? Yes. Why? It has more to do with than just richening up the mixture across the board. If that was the case. A pc5 with 2 in every cell would be magic. BWTHDIK

The following users liked this post:
Gordon61 (12-02-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 10:08 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Well we know you know a he11 of a lot more than most 👍

Old 12-01-2018, 02:32 PM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
Steady on there ...jeez, don't you just love the Internet and social media, haha ...it is what it is but I did not LOVE it, so please count me (at least) out of the "EVERYONE"
Sorry... most everyone

Old 12-01-2018, 06:16 PM
dbdicker
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
If we wanted to go down the science worm hole. I'd bring up latent heat, and actual volume of fuel needed to change from lambda of 1 to .988. Then we could really see the cooling affect of all this fuel that has to be added. Might not be rocket science and it isn't quantum physics but let's not throw out scientific law completely.

AFR with tuners is just a scaling for human interface. The sensors and ECM only know mV. If the fp3 is showing AFR. I'm sure it is for gasoline. So, you still aren't getting a good representation of what is really going on with the actual fuel we have available in the US. This makes blanket statements on extremely lean even more troublesome, and the reason most deal in lambda.

Example. 14.4 with gasoline would have a switching voltage of 785mV and a lambda of .981. With e10. It would actually be targeting an AFR of 13.98. Lambda and mV staying the same.

IME with dealing with e90 and e95 fuels is that it takes about 30% more volume of this fuel to hit the ratios that are requested. Back to latent heat. Also corn is a natural knock retard agent. IE slower burning. More fuel equals even slower burning. That will equate to less power and responsiveness. The big plus for this is the ability to add more compression and more timing advance. This goes back to my opinion of just addressing VE's isn't a complete tune.

Had a customer with a nice 95 hippo build. He wanted to do a hp shootout at local dealer. He showed up all ready with a secret weapon. He filled his tank with 110 plus. No other changes. He was down about 10hp and was upset. He swung by and I drained his fuel. Put pump gas back into it and made some pulls. Power was right where it was suppose to be. Timing is so important to making power and yet. Rarely talk about by anybody, and nothing I know on the market that state auto tune addresses it.

Can a stock bike improve with a pro tune? Yes. Will a stage 1 run better with a pro tune? Yes. Why? It has more to do with than just richening up the mixture across the board. If that was the case. A pc5 with 2 in every cell would be magic. BWTHDIK
clearly - a hell of a lot. I've really enjoyed reading this thread from folks who really know what they're talking about.

Bottom line is I got one coming -- and I think I'll know better than to venture a seat-of-the-pants verdict on whatever the bike feels/runs like after I push in the canned stock map -- you guys have been clearly up and down the highway too many times.

I'm already planning a stage one that I hope will be cost effective -- must be a hundred used slip-ons out there from folks who like to swap chrome out and a hi-flow K+N filter for the stock air cleaner is $60. So, there'll be that cheap fun experiment to look forwards to w/ a new V+H map to flash. I'm getting the picture that the autotune feature is one to be avoided.

But no matter whether I like it or don't, I really do appreciate all the time spent putting your knowledge here for me to soak up -- thanks to you all.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:41 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

You will notice a difference for the better even with a bone stock bike.

Quick Reply: Do I NEED an FP3?