Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Do I NEED an FP3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 07:25 PM
dbdicker
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Do I NEED an FP3?

I've got a 2016 Street Glide, and I'm in the middle of the upgrade black hole.

I like the way the 103 twin cam is running -- REALLY. But you can't leave well enough alone, can you? I don't expect to add cams or big piston kits -- maybe, MAYBE a slip on, maybe an air filter (although I don't see how the physics make any difference there, but they LOOK cool!)

But I do remember putting an AF-XIED unit from nightrider on my old BMW R1150R and being very impressed at the improvement -- it really took a lot of the hesitation out and added smoothness and maybe a touch more power to richen up the AFR a bit. I know a lot of folks here complain about the stock maps running the bikes far too lean to meet emissions standards.

A twin AF-XIED unit for my bike is over $200 -- an FP3, which is FAR more flexible can be had for a bit more than $300 - so if I do anything, that seems to be the thing to do.

But do I need it? If I stayed stock, is it worth $300 for just the canned VH map? How about autotune? Hype or real custom tuning? How often do folks use the other tools, like idle adjustment, or temp monitoring or.......
Once you plug it in, it reads your VIN and you can't try it and send it back, right? So, you gotta keep it with the bike forever, right?

Old 11-28-2018, 09:34 PM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by dbdicker
I've got a 2016 Street Glide, and I'm in the middle of the upgrade black hole.

I like the way the 103 twin cam is running -- REALLY. But you can't leave well enough alone, can you? I don't expect to add cams or big piston kits -- maybe, MAYBE a slip on, maybe an air filter (although I don't see how the physics make any difference there, but they LOOK cool!)

But I do remember putting an AF-XIED unit from nightrider on my old BMW R1150R and being very impressed at the improvement -- it really took a lot of the hesitation out and added smoothness and maybe a touch more power to richen up the AFR a bit. I know a lot of folks here complain about the stock maps running the bikes far too lean to meet emissions standards.

A twin AF-XIED unit for my bike is over $200 -- an FP3, which is FAR more flexible can be had for a bit more than $300 - so if I do anything, that seems to be the thing to do.

But do I need it? If I stayed stock, is it worth $300 for just the canned VH map? How about autotune? Hype or real custom tuning? How often do folks use the other tools, like idle adjustment, or temp monitoring or.......
Once you plug it in, it reads your VIN and you can't try it and send it back, right? So, you gotta keep it with the bike forever, right?
Not sure what exactly V & H return policy is. But while the device is mated to your bike forever, you don’t have to use it. You can just go back to your stock, original configuration.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:45 PM
PovertyRider
Road Master
Received 197 Likes on 140 Posts

Well, the fp3 does have a built in tach that can be viewed on your phone as you ride. A lot less trouble than installing one! LOL (My Sportster doesn't have a tach).
If you are staying stock what would you use it for anyway?

Old 11-28-2018, 11:14 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Your gonna get a thousand responses telling you to get a Power vision and get it dyno tuned yada yada

In reality of your not tearing into the motor or chasing HP #’s the FP3 is perfect for a simple stage 1 setup. It will cool off the motor add a little power and smooth everything out. No more backfiring etc. Easy as hell to use and setup! From the time you open the box you’ll be on the road 10 mins later enjoying the ride

Old 11-29-2018, 12:23 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I had a FP3 on my slim an it ran really well using it for a stage one. If you don't plan on a dyno tune a FP3 is fine....most tuners use the other tuners. it's a good bang for the buck.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:27 PM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

EVERYONE who has an FP3 loves them. Only question you need to ask yourself do you want to risk your ESP if you have one.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:30 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Erilflynn
EVERYONE who has an FP3 loves them. Only question you need to ask yourself do you want to risk your ESP if you have one.
He has a 2016

theres no risk to his ESP or warranty for that matter. All that EPA fine restrictions supposed warranty violation applies to 2017 and up

Old 11-30-2018, 05:50 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Steady on there ...jeez, don't you just love the Internet and social media, haha ...it is what it is but I did not LOVE it, so please count me (at least) out of the "EVERYONE"

Old 11-30-2018, 10:34 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

I have taken too many of these off to find this statement to be true. I literally use them for door stops.

I would ask the people that have answered to this topic a couple of question. It is stated that this device will cool down the engine. How? Does it allow you to target different air fuel ratio's? Does it do this with timing? Is it just the cooling that comes along with a stage 1 and the removal of cats. Is this felt heat off the engine or is this actually being seen in the data with engine and head temps?

Another one I am real intrigued with. Why don't professional tuners recommend this tuning device? Why would their opinion be blown off with this subject? Why would their day in and day out experience and knowledge acquired not be heeded on this subject?

To paraphrase an old school tuning professional. The best you have is the best you know but not necessary the best.

The following 2 users liked this post by hrdtail78:
FLTRI17 (11-30-2018), jbarr1 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:29 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Answer: When comparing the end results from all tuning devices available, pro tuners get to see and feel, as well as measure increases/decreases to performance from one tuner to another.
It is for this reason I believe owners are best served by asking those who actually tune and ride/feel differences between run quality between different tuning devices.
This is why TTS gets the nod from most pro tuners...unless the pro tuner is exclusively tied to a brand.
Bob

The following users liked this post:
jbarr1 (11-30-2018)

Quick Reply: Do I NEED an FP3?