Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

HD tuners

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 02:52 PM
wizardfitz
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default HD tuners

Current ride is 2016 limited with Vance and Hines pro pipe, air cleaner and tuner. Did it all myself in issues just ordered a 2019 limited. My dealer told me only mod that won't void the warranty is slip ons.
I read in parts catalog that the screaming eagle pro street tuner retains full engine warranty. So which is it?
Also in addition to the pro tuner will I have to get the SE smart tune?

Old 02-26-2019, 05:28 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 402 Likes on 286 Posts

There are lots of mods you can do and not affect your warranty. Anything out of the Screamin Eagle catalog that has the stoplight on it is EPA certified and won't hurt your warranty. S&S also make a complete EPA legal exhaust system for the M8 Touring models.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:20 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,431 Likes on 1,577 Posts

One must be careful as EPA or CARB legal does not mean warranty. HD has been voiding warranties on 2017 and newer for just about everything, EPA legal or not. IMHO that's not right but they are doing it anyways.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Gary1
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 131 Posts

My dealer sells the FP3 in their parts department so I didn't worry about the warranty. I have a stage 1 and it's running great.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:01 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

You should worry about the warranty! Just because the dealer sells it doesn’t mean they will honor the warranty. Very flawed thinking.

The following users liked this post:
wengerda (04-22-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 12:17 PM
SWFLGuy
Road Warrior
Received 1,211 Likes on 597 Posts

My dealer said the only thing that will void the warranty is the tuner if it’s not HD

Old 03-11-2019, 06:28 PM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

My dealer told me a PV tune wouldn’t void my warranty. Got the SEPST.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:09 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Erilflynn
My dealer told me a PV tune wouldn’t void my warranty. Got the SEPST.
Bad dealer. Very smart owner!

The following users liked this post:
Erilflynn (03-12-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 07:15 PM
otto.maddox
Cruiser
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

There is a version of the FP3 tuner which is CARB compliant. In theory a Harley dealer might sell this one since it wouldn't be in violation of the EPA decree.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:26 PM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

That is a violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and reportable to the FTC. The dealers tell you these lies to make you spend money at the dealership.

Highlighting = mine.
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is the right for consumers to have the vehicle serviced at a business of their choice and the option to use aftermarket parts, meaning potentially money-saving alternatives to those that came on the car, while retaining the original warranty. The automaker is not allowed to void a warranty just because a nonfactory part is used.
Should something go wrong, the warranty provider will need to determine the cause of the problem. The Federal Trade Commission says, “The manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.” That means if the dealer can prove (the burden is on the dealer) the problem was caused by the wrong viscosity or a poor quality oil filter, your warranty can be denied. Warranty protection would still be in effect for other parts of the cars.
The Act is quite clear on this:

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name . . .
To sum it up, they would need to prove that any work was caused by the aftermarket part or the installer. This would mean that they would have to show that aftermarket parts are uniquely inferior to the branded performance parts. Most Harley dealerships have non-Screaming Eagle hopped up/improved new vehicles for sale with a full warranty. They do not have a legal leg to stand on in most cases just due to performance upgrades, particularly if a top aftermarket company provided the parts.

Quick Reply: HD tuners