Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

S&S V111 EFI Setup ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 02:18 PM
Gnassty
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S&S V111 EFI Setup ???

Howdy folks. Hoping someone who's done this and can chime in with their experience.
I've been eye-f@$#'ing the V111 motor and trying to plan and prepare for the potential swap. I would slapping this thing into my '98 injected Road King and sticking with injection. According to S&S, the stock Magnetti Marelli system won't cut it. I know I'll need a larger single-bore TB, and am looking at HPi's offerings for the Marelli system, or S&S' 58mm TB. Aside from a TB upgrade, will it be necessary to replace the injectors, sensors, ignitions, and will a new ECM be needed, or will the Power Commander V be sufficient (with or without autotune)? Fuel delivery is not my strong point, so I'm all ears.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Fellow S&S engine owner here, although carb not EFI. If S&S says the MM system isn't suitable, what do the recommend? They make an upgraded EFI module that may be suitable and will replace your current EFI unit, while giving you the ability to optimise the tune of your bike.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:29 PM
Gnassty
Intermediate

In short: S&S "highly" recommends their 58mm TB for the v111 and requires a tuning module for MM injection systems.

The single-bore 58mm TB/injection kit requires S&S ECU (MM ECU not compatible). The manifold "MAY be included in some kits" - it's not listed for the kit I'm looking but could be part of the additional hardware kits included with it(?). I assume not, but S&S would not answer that (or any other) question directly and instead just referred me to the catalog. The catalog does not do much better answering questions, but it does direct me to a part number for the manifold. I have not yet located a place to buy this part. where I really need some education is regarding ECUs/ECMs... do I need to replace the physical electronic component with an S&S ECU, or simply tune the stock control module with a PC-V or something like it? S&S' information is not always clear or consistent (at least not for the learn-as-you-go types like me).

Alternatively, Horsepower Inc (HPi) offers a 51mm and a 55mm single-bore replacement TB specifically for MM systems (it promises to correct the faults in the stock system). It's a little more expensive, but as far as I can tell, no additional parts required, except possibly a tuner. However, finding one of their units is also a bit tricky.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Living in the UK I've always found S&S quick and helpful answering email queries. If you live in the USA you are only a phone call away - in fact you're only a lake away! The ECU that S&S offers is a direct replacement of the MM one, but with greatly improved tuning capability.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:20 PM
Gnassty
Intermediate

I spoke with S&S and it turns out they discontinued the EFI components for EVO due to all the problems they were having with the early MM systems. I don't completely understand the logic since their setup was essentially an MM to Delphi conversion. I suppose I could retrofit it myself with an entire Delphi setup, but would still need to find--or have someone build--the correct intake manifold, but may be a headache trying to source and/or fabricate all the right parts.

I talked with HPi as well and a simpler approach would be to use their MMXF 55mm TB, which includes all new injectors, fuel rail, lines, etc. It's expensive AF ($1360), but the only other cost would be a tuner. He said the stock ECU still work with their TB on the v111 with a good tune. Zippers offers their ThunderMax setup for MM, including intake and ECU, but that kit's $1K more than HPi.

This would be a lot less frustrating if the cost of a new engine AND THE ADDED COST TO MAKE IT WORK wasn't roughly the same cost as buying a new(er) bike with a 103"/107". Someone, please remind me again why I still prefer to upgrade my current ride in costly pieces rather than upgrading the entire damn bike for the same cost (not factoring in the sale of my bike)? There has to be a logic explanation for what amounts to my looming insanity!

Old 03-02-2019, 11:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by Gnassty
Someone, please remind me again why I still prefer to upgrade my current ride in costly pieces rather than upgrading the entire damn bike for the same cost (not factoring in the sale of my bike)? There has to be a logic explanation for what amounts to my looming insanity!
Thanks for the update on the S&S MM replacement, I didn't realise they had dropped it.

I'm puzzled by your engine problems. Admittedly I bought an S&S 107", which predates their 111", but I had the option of a version with carb and a choice of two ignition systems, which gave me everything I needed, including harness adapters etc - a one stop shop. I don't recall adding anything else.

Last edited by grbrown; 03-02-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:03 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 419 Posts

As a tuner and proponent of EFI, in your case I would opt to convert to carburetor because the MM is a mess to deal with. You must pay someone who “hopefully” understands the system to get it right. No small effort for sure!
Bob

Old 03-04-2019, 08:23 AM
Gnassty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grbrown
I'm puzzled by your engine problems. Admittedly I bought an S&S 107", which predates their 111", but I had the option of a version with carb and a choice of two ignition systems, which gave me everything I needed, including harness adapters etc - a one stop shop. I don't recall adding anything else.
There are still options to purchase a complete V111 with either Super E or Super G carb. They also had a 49-State V111ei model, which was a complete EFI system with the 543 cam (585 on all other), but this version appears to be discontinued (in spite of it still being in the current catalog).

For a handful of reasons (sound or insane), I've chosen to stick with EFI. In this case, it means quite a bit more homework on my part since there aren't many readily available options for EFI (and definitely not inexpensive). I have other carbureted bikes, and most of the time they run great and are easier to fix if/when a problem does occur. But in the EFI systems I've had--include the MM models--cold starting is never an issue and performance seems to be much more consistent through all sorts of riding conditions (cold, warm, hot, elevation changes, etc).

Old 03-04-2019, 09:15 AM
Gnassty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
As a tuner and proponent of EFI, in your case I would opt to convert to carburetor because the MM is a mess to deal with. You must pay someone who “hopefully” understands the system to get it right. No small effort for sure!
Bob
I do have take pause and consider what I might be getting myself into when proponents of EFI are still suggesting carb over dealing with MM. So the question I have, is what exactly is the week link in the system (ECU, TPS, IAC, injectors, ect.)?

In context, I'm installing the HPi MMXF 55mm throttle body (more info here). This will replace injectors, regulator, fuel rail, ect., with the Delphi style components. So essentially, the only native MM component is the ECU. In spite of HPi's claims that the TB fixes issues common to the early MM system, should I still expect problems trying to get a proper tune? Any idea if at this point the MM module could simply be swapped out for a Delphi unit, or would the retrofit be an entirely different can of worms?

Old 03-05-2019, 12:19 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 419 Posts

If I were stuck on EFI for my MM bike I would go straight to Ed Ramberger for his direction/instruction to convert to Delphi EFI...as he did. No better EFI solution for your bike. Carb conversion will be considerably less expensive in the long run.
Bob

Quick Reply: S&S V111 EFI Setup ???