Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dyno question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Gjerb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno question

I am picking my bike up after a SERT, SE/AC and Python install on a 2007 Fboy. The Stealer is already telling me they can't supply the map. What is the most important things to look for on the dyno print-out other than the A/F numbers (which I assume I want to stay below 14 across the entire rpm range)? Thanks for the heads up.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Wags1
Tourer
Default RE: Dyno question

Did they do (did you pay for) a dyno tune or did they just load one of the canned calibrations off of the CD-ROM? If they did, and you paid for,a dyno tune then they owe you a copy of the final tuned calibration file. If they just used your SERT to download one of the canned calibration files into your ECM then don't bother arguing with them about it. All the canned calibrations are on the CD-ROM that is part of the SERT. Either way they had to use a computer so they CAN give you a copy of the calibration file. If they did, and you paid for, a dyno tune then take a diskette and a USB memory stick with you when you go to pick-up the bike and don't leave the friggin dealership until they give you a copy of the final tuned calibration file. It is only 46K so it will fit on either.

If they are telling you that they can't give you a copy of the final tuned calibration file they are either full of crap or don't know what they are talking about or both. Either way, find yourself another dealer.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Gjerb
Advanced

The chic service manager indicated that they will be giving me a computer "print out showing the torque and horse power." What exactly should I look for on the data sheet besides the A/F levels?

Old 07-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Wags1
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Gjerb

The chic service manager indicated that they will be giving me a computer "print out showing the torque and horse power." What exactly should I look for on the data sheet besides the A/F levels?
The print out is going to show you exactly what she told you it will show you, torque and horse poser across the range of RPM's. I'm still not clear on what you are having your dealer do. Are you simply having them do a dyno run for you and print out the results as a base line? Are they going to use your SERT to load one of the canned calibration files? Are they going to do an actual dyno tune?

Don't take this the wrong way but I hope if you are paying to have something done you know exactly what it is you are paying for....

Old 07-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Gjerb
Advanced

Thanks Wags.....I wanted them to install parts and tune (create a new map) for optimum performance using the sert. I hope I understand you question. Other than riding it, I'm not sure how I will know what kind of job the dealer did. Is there some indicator on the read out that I should check for?

Old 07-20-2007, 11:03 AM
Wags1
Tourer

If they are going to do a dyno tune for you, which, based on the description of what you asked for, they probably will do, then they should give you a base line dyno run printoutthat shows you the torque and HP prior to the tune and thena post tune dyno run printout showing the new and improved torque and HP after the tune..Frankly if it were me I would have been a bit more specific with them and specifically asked them to dyno tune the bike. I also would have talked to the service manager and found out whether they had anyone that really knew their way around doing a SERT dyno tune. What you get for your money is entirely dependent on the skill of the person doing the dyno tune.

Since you are getting a dyno tune you need to insist on getting a copy of the final tuned calibration file. They CAN and should provide that to you. If the service manager says no then politely ask to speak to the tech that did your dyno tune. Just explain to him that you want a copy of YOUR (and it is yours, you paid for it) final tuned calibration file and offer to give him a blank diskette or a USB memory stick (make sure to bring them with you). He should understand exactly what you are talking about and it will take him less than 5 minutes to copy that file off to your diskette or memory stick. If they still say no than ask to see the owner. Be polite but insistent.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Gjerb
Advanced

Thanks Wags. I'm set up for a tune with Doc later this month, but I am curious to see what the dealer did. So, I guess other than looking at the A/F, the post dyno hp and tq, there's nothing to check? I thought I've seencolored graphics on this and other forums depictingengine performance.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Wags1
Tourer

Thanks Wags. I'm set up for a tune with Doc later this month, but I am curious to see what the dealer did. So, I guess other than looking at the A/F, the post dyno hp and tq, there's nothing to check? I thought I've seencolored graphics on this and other forums depictingengine performance.
The colored graphics you are refering to are the Torque, HP, and A/Fcurves thru the RPM range.

If you are having Doc do a dyno tune for you then it is even more important that you get the dealer to give you a copy of the final tuned calibration file. Once it is on your ECM their is no way to pull it off. So either you get a copy or Doc has to start from scratch. In which case you may as well just load the canned calibration that is closest to your setup and run with that until Doc does your dyno tune. No sense in paying your dealer for something you are just going to thro away.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:15 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wags1

The colored graphics you are refering to are the Torque, HP, and A/Fcurves thru the RPM range.

If you are having Doc do a dyno tune for you then it is even more important that you get the dealer to give you a copy of the final tuned calibration file. Once it is on your ECM their is no way to pull it off. So either you get a copy or Doc has to start from scratch. In which case you may as well just load the canned calibration that is closest to your setup and run with that until Doc does your dyno tune. No sense in paying your dealer for something you are just going to thro away.
Most cases it's easier to start from scratch....lol....lol...

Old 07-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Wags1
Tourer

[/quote]

Most cases it's easier to start from scratch....lol....lol...
[/quote]

You are right there Doc...which kinda makes me wonder why Gjerb is gonna waste money havin the dealer do a dyno tune when he is bringing it to you....[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Quick Reply: Dyno question