Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Could really use some help, will buy beer

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 12:55 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 896 Posts

Jeezus are you kidding bustert? The carbon buildup it causes has been well documented and so has the hp loss. When that carbon build up gets hot enough and starts glowing red, guess what happens next? Or keeps a valve from closing. I've seen the inside of motors that looked that bad and worse venting internally. But vent where you want.

Carbon build up external venting vs. venting to intake

Aaron Wilson, awsracing, also did extensive testing, 100s of dyno pulls, on different breather systems and the ONLY thing that made a difference EVERY TIME as far as power was concerned was getting it out of the intake tract and venting to atmosphere. Maybe only 2 or hp but across the entire rpm range. And it's not the power loss itself that's concerning.
Then there's the issue of it contributing to already hot running motors. Maybe not an issue for your `74 IH that doesn't make enough power to get that hot and comparing an air cooled v-twin to a multi cylinder water cooled industrial engine that has pistons going down as well as up at the same time not 2 going up and down nearly simultaneously? Why do you think automotive pcv valves dont last very long in a Harley v-twin?

Last edited by 60Gunner; 09-12-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:29 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 896 Posts

Results like this are everywhere with a simple search. Venting to atmosphere is a must if you give a **** about your motor more than the epa. 15° drop in oil temp is huge. Not sure why anyone would want to breath hot, oily air into the combustion chamber instead of cool, dry air.

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Even if you have little/no perceptible oil coming out , you are still benefiting performance wise.

There is definitely hot, oxygen depleted air coming out of the breathers, and by not putting it into the air cleaner, you are leaving more room for cooler, oxygen rich air to go into your combustion chambers. This equates to more power, cooler running, and better MPG.

Not a lot, but enough to be consistently measurable, and all the little things add up.

Originally Posted by The Cheesehead
I recently reached out to Kevin I DK Customs and he and his group are more than knowledgeable and willing to help me out. I've got to tell you guys, your customer service and willingness to help or second to none.

I ordered the DK Customs Complete HiFlow 606 Air Cleaner Dyna Softail Touring - Rushmore even though I have a 2012 Road King. Kevin assured me that was the right kit to use. It seems counterintuitive at first until I realized that it fit perfectly. Thanks to Kevin and the customer service team for all your help. I used my Jocker Machine cover for the K&N filter and DK customized my order with braided hoses and fittings I'd need. Thanks again to Kevin & DK Customs for making this super simple and easy! It's not everyday you get exceptional customer service like this.

Here's how it turned out:

EDIT: I have noticed 12-15 degree temp drop in my oil...Averaging around 209 degrees after running at highway speeds (65-75 mph) for about 2 hours.
​​​​​​​