Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Gdetting back into tuners

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 06:01 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,462 Posts
Default Gdetting back into tuners

I got 2007. When I bought I bought a SERT, a map from a dealer, and did some tweaking for stage I. Now looking to do minor build, low compression, cams, and port. I am considering dynojet power vision 4. Price is part of it and looks simple.

I am not sure I will get it on dyno, and not like to squeeze after hp out of it. Just freshing up the engine, and would like to see if I can cool it down a bit by removing EPA restrictions.

I have not kept up with this technology, From my reading it looks like it flashes the ECM, and is not a piggy back device?
If you did want live data, then you would plug in, and go for ride. But you do not need to leave plugged in? Is there any advantage to leaving it if not trouble shooting?
Can it be tuned, or is just load maps in?

I created an account hoping to see what maps they have, but the app doesn't seem to do anything if, not connected. I was hoping to review it.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-19-2023, 07:40 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
I got 2007. When I bought I bought a SERT, a map from a dealer, and did some tweaking for stage I. Now looking to do minor build, low compression, cams, and port. I am considering dynojet power vision 4. Price is part of it and looks simple.

I am not sure I will get it on dyno, and not like to squeeze after hp out of it. Just freshing up the engine, and would like to see if I can cool it down a bit by removing EPA restrictions.

I have not kept up with this technology, From my reading it looks like it flashes the ECM, and is not a piggy back device?
If you did want live data, then you would plug in, and go for ride. But you do not need to leave plugged in? Is there any advantage to leaving it if not trouble shooting?
Can it be tuned, or is just load maps in?

I created an account hoping to see what maps they have, but the app doesn't seem to do anything if, not connected. I was hoping to review it.

Thanks for the help.
I highly suggest you let someone that knows what they're doing handle this and buy the tuner he suggests. You're likely to lose power not gain it. Do you even know what a data file is, how to interpret it, or apply changes based on it?.

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (12-20-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 08:44 PM
CaptCrunch
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you dont plan to put it on the dyno, and just wanna cool it down a bit without squeezing the horsey’s out of it i would at least suggest buying from somewhere like fuel moto that has map support. If you are not familiar with the things that gunner60 mentions then their support will be pivotal in your success with the device.

I am not familiar with the PV4 but im sure its data logging and troubleshooting capabilities are similar to the 1-2b models so its unlikely it will need to be connected unless you are actively using it to tune or log. You are correct it is not a piggy back tuner.

I am open to correction on all points.

Old 12-19-2023, 09:14 PM
cobra23
Tourer
Received 355 Likes on 197 Posts

I would consider a Thundermax. It features autotune and easy to load maps. 3 year warranty. Pricey but worth it.

Old 12-19-2023, 11:02 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

The Powervision is a good option. It is a flash tuner meaning that it will re-write the tables in the ECM. After flashing you can remove the head unit if you like. I keep mine attached and monitor certain data parameters. There are plenty of instructional videos. Over the years I have had just too many issues with the Thundermax product. I assume it it a typo that you want to lower compression. I actually had the original SE Super Tuner Pro on mine and used my map as the starting point for playing with the PV.

Old 12-20-2023, 03:37 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
The Powervision is a good option. It is a flash tuner meaning that it will re-write the tables in the ECM. After flashing you can remove the head unit if you like. I keep mine attached and monitor certain data parameters. There are plenty of instructional videos. Over the years I have had just too many issues with the Thundermax product. I assume it it a typo that you want to lower compression. I actually had the original SE Super Tuner Pro on mine and used my map as the starting point for playing with the PV.
Not a typo. He thinks compression is bad and so is anything bigger than a 95".
I stand by post. This is a train wreck waiting to happen.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 12-20-2023 at 03:43 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 60Gunner:
BTLorys (12-20-2023), Fat11Lo (12-22-2023), M Oclaf (12-20-2023), Uncle Larry (12-26-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 06:35 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
Not a typo. He thinks compression is bad and so is anything bigger than a 95".
I stand by post. This is a train wreck waiting to happen.
This will be my third build. Yes, I like compression around stock. My last two builds I did raise it with .030 head gaskets. I'll probably do that again.

My plan was whatever tuner I got to get a canned map. I was debating on auto tuning, and not sure if I was going to dyno it.

One of my carb builds I dynoed, one I did not.

My first goal is to freshen up a higher mileage bike. lifters, pads, and rings. I am not looking to spend a ton of money. This is a 17 year old bike, and I got two more, so I am not looking to max out the power and dump a lot of money into it. But since it is open I am looking at tuner, cams, and heads. I do have a SERT, and considered just getting a older computer to run it, I might even have one.

Old 12-20-2023, 06:49 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

My question was do these program ECM or piggy back. When I was into this only Harley programed everything else piggybacked. At that time thundermax was way expensive, I didn't even look at their products this time. To me it looks like these newer ones flash.

I did speak to fuel moto, they said PV-1b had less issues and call backs, then PV-4, and better on my year. It is an upsell. I am not sure if I care about auto tuning. But I'll probably get it.

Problem with Fuel Moto is they want to sell kits. Myself, I'd just bore my cylinders and save a few bucks. I was hoping to buy the rest from them. But talking to them I think it will be piecemeal.

I am not sure what I am going to do for lifters. Not sure they are worth $300. Last build I did S&S. Harley ones are cheap and have lasted.

They recommended TW222, which they said was good for 96-107. I'll probably go with that. I was thinking about andrews 21 or 26, which they sell.

So whats the differenfe going to fuel moto for a tuner and just buying it from dynajet? They also have maps. I downloaded app. I wanted to look to see what they had avalable, but it needs to connect. Maybe I can find out on their site?

I'll probabloy go with fuel moto, couple bucks cheaper.

Old 12-20-2023, 06:52 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
I highly suggest you let someone that knows what they're doing handle this and buy the tuner he suggests. You're likely to lose power not gain it. Do you even know what a data file is, how to interpret it, or apply changes based on it?.
Harley had a real good instructions for their old SERT. Maybe worth reading just for the info in it. But I am just looking to go with canned map from the tuner company. Not sure if I am going any farther.

Buying a second tuner is expensive, but I'll probably do it. I can buy another licesnse for my other bike, so that is a plus. But at the moment I am pretty happy with that. By the time I do a build on that, they will say it doesn't work with current phone/computer too.

Last edited by Rounders; 12-20-2023 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-20-2023, 07:25 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,265 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
Harley had a real good instructions for their old SERT. Maybe worth reading just for the info in it. But I am just looking to go with canned map from the tuner company. Not sure if I am going any farther.
...snip....
If you want to read some extensive documentation about tuning, you can download the Mastertune software updater & run it
to install all of the PDF files (need acrobat reader)

http://www.mastertune.net/downloads_...re_updater.php

hth,

T.

The following users liked this post:
luckiestiff (12-26-2023)

Quick Reply: Gdetting back into tuners