Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help Please- bike cuts out while driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 08:52 AM
shovelman202
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please- bike cuts out while driving

Here is a weird one, any help would be appreciated.

When you first start the bike (1978 shovelhead motor That has a s&s carb, straight pipes, used to have points but changed it to an electronic ignition)
I drive it down the street and it just dies, as though you turned off a switch, but the lights stay on. It cuts out maybe 3 or 4 times as your driving then after a couple miles it stays on and never dies again, no matter how long you drive it...and it runs GREAT.

Then you let it cool down for a couple hours and drive it, just dies again for a couple times for a few miles....then works fine with no problems, I have driven it for 10 hours after it dies for the first few miles and have had no problems....until it cools down.

What might i look at??? Seems like a problem that occurs when the bike has been off for a while.

The coil was replaced, the sparkplugs , and spark plug wires, the main large switch on the gas tank, put fuses on all the breakers and they never blew, ran a wire directly to the coil from the battery still cut out, since its only first the first few minutes while the bike is cold...once it warms up never cuts out.
The bike always runs great cold or hot.
Any ideas would be appreciated since i am getting tired of driving the bike.