Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

For you guys debating SERT vs PCIII

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:53 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: For you guys debating SERT vs PCIII

To each his own. I have a PCIII and my bike runs great with it. IF I have to pass an emissions test, I can just unhook it and run the Stage one DL the bike has. It can be adjusted and timed using the PCIII without a dyno by the user.The price is also lower (mine was about 270 bucks, shipped with appropriate map installed.

I am NOT saying a sert isn't a good alternative if you want it, just that the bad PCIII experience is NOT typical and many, many HD riders have used it for several years with great results. I also think the maps available for specific intake/exhaust combos, not available for serts without having it tuned on a dyno, at least not on HD's disc (which they have stopped including in the purchase now I've heard) make the PCIII more accurate for many people who are trying not to spend seven hundred bucks to get running right between the dongle and the tuner.

JMHO
EZ

Old 02-28-2008, 08:54 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: EZ2Rider

IF I have to pass an emissions test, I can just unhook it and run the Stage one DL the bike has.

JMHO
EZ
With the Sert you can upload the original factory canned map in about 5 minutes. Nothing to disconnect/then reconnect.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: DRAGOSBIKEWORKS

Hello guys,

Now I use PC3 on just about all my customers bikes. I use them on bikes making 75/100/245/500 horse power and never have any probs.... Now the bikes range from Harleys to metric sportbikes. The pc 3 is very easy to use and has great support. At least you can call powercommander and ask a question good luck with the HD dealers that most of them dont know how to tune them. And most people that tune serts will turn off the closed loop side so they can lower the a/f.... (Now you are talking out of the side of your neck....... That is an MMG tuning style, NOT an HD/TTS style tune..... The SERT Tuners that KNOW what they are doing with the Closed Loop set the DAFR to 13 so as to guarantee the VE's are dialed in where they need to be..., Then the DAFR is reset back to baseline... ) Now you run in open loop just like a pc3.

I hope this helps

FRANK FROM D.B.W

Old 02-28-2008, 09:08 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You will really like the SERT once we get the data log viewerdone for it. User configurable fields, Lookup table based fields, Zoom in and zoom out,up to 12 fields at the same time. Way cool stuff.

AW

Old 02-28-2008, 09:47 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

LOL, looks like an official "SERT" campaign to me. Fact is, they are both good units, either will satisfy most non racing or uber high performance users AND the PCIII is cheaper.

I might not feel the same if I had an 07 or 08, depending on the viability of keeping or finding some advantage in the narrow, closed loop system with the SERT. Since my 06 runs great with the PCIII and it was relatively inexpensive, I really like it. I liked my DFO on my 04 WG too and it is definitely a very economical choice for just a stage one'd , pre 07 bike IMHO. Simple, user friendly and it works. It seems to me that the sert being a dongle rather than an actual "component" it is way overpriced as, in effect, simply a gateway to access thebox. IF, in fact, they have stopped including the maps on the CD, it is further evidence of HD simply milking an opportunity to charge for fixing the bike's shortcomings.

Again, maybe I am way off base but too much overcharging for simple things has jaded many of us towards MOCO "solutions" to problems native to the bikes.

JMHO
EZ

Old 02-29-2008, 12:46 AM
BCguy
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: EZ2Rider

It seems to me that the sert being a dongle rather than an actual "component" it is way overpriced as, in effect, simply a gateway to access thebox. IF, in fact, they have stopped including the maps on the CD, it is further evidence of HD simply milking an opportunity to charge for fixing the bike's shortcomings.

Maybe I'm confused but my understanding is that the old SERT or the new SE Pro EFI Super Tuner is a software package that allows you to reprogram the stock ECM by uploading a canned map (from HD or other sources) or a custom map (during a dyno tune, for example) as well as a multitude of monitoring functions. The 'dongle' is merely an interface between the ECM and your pc. You'r not paying for the dongle but the software.

I also thought that maps were now available online from HD and could be dowloaded to your pc as you required them with no extra charge.

Am I right here?

Old 02-29-2008, 05:53 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,655 Likes on 580 Posts

ORIGINAL: DRAGOSBIKEWORKS

Hello guys,

Now I use PC3 on just about all my customers bikes. I use them on bikes making 75/100/245/500 horse power and never have any probs.... Now the bikes range from Harleys to metric sportbikes. The pc 3 is very easy to use and has great support. At least you can call powercommander and ask a question good luck with the HD dealers that most of them dont know how to tune them. And most people that tune serts will turn off the closed loop side so they can lower the a/f.... Now you run in open loop just like a pc3.

I hope this helps

FRANK FROM D.B.W

What PCIII compatable bike has 500 HP????

Smells Like BS

Old 02-29-2008, 06:09 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: BCguy
Maybe I'm confused but my understanding is that the old SERT or the new SE Pro EFI Super Tuner is a software package that allows you to reprogram the stock ECM by uploading a canned map (from HD or other sources) or a custom map (during a dyno tune, for example) as well as a multitude of monitoring functions. The 'dongle' is merely an interface between the ECM and your pc. You'r not paying for the dongle but the software.

I also thought that maps were now available online from HD and could be dowloaded to your pc as you required them with no extra charge.

Am I right here?
But the way that the copy protection works is that they way over price the dongle and have it marry it self to your bike and then the don't worry if you install the free SW on 100 computers. You can onlyUSEthe softwareon ONE bike with One purchase.

AW

Old 02-29-2008, 07:36 AM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If the PCIII works for you then fine, I have no problem with that. You are guessing which increment works best on the PCIII whereas the SERT has the actual A/F mixture there for you to play with. There are 100 more settings on the SERT than the PCIII. Someone asked about downloading maps from HD, now I am not sure about that, but if you can I would love to know the link.

Somebody keeps saying that the sert is 700 bucks? No way, I paid 380 for mine off ebay from a HD dealer and 30 for the cables. Shipping and all I had about 420 in it and it was money well spent.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:18 AM
DRAGO1
Tourer

So tell me when you run in closed loop mode you can dial the a/f at 13.81 or lower with a sert I dont think so........ You can not with the stock narrow band 02 . So what do you do you turn it off. I try to talk in simple terms so people understand. So tell me what do you do...... I have used many of serts and tuned them. Even when I put super chargers on harleys how do you tune a sert to get lower then 14.1 in simple terms you turn it off.CLOSED LOOP............. Thats why I talk out the other side of my neck....

Frank From D.B.W

Quick Reply: For you guys debating SERT vs PCIII