Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Removed Speedo Bike Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:55 PM
usaf_tim
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed Speedo Bike Wont Start

Ok so i have a 2002 Sportster 1200. I took off the speedo by cutting the wires. I taped them all up. At first it ran just fine. It started right up. But it sat for a few days. I go back turn the key on and nothing! The headlight will not come on or nothing. I try to turn the motor over and the starter will not engage. I checked all the wires from the ignition. The battery is good. All fuses are good getting power. All relays are up and running. So I undid the tape on the wires from the speedo. I touch a few together and then boom. The headlight came on and I could crank the motor. BUT! the motor will not turn over. Its preventing it from turning over for some reason. It just cranks and cranks. Then all the sudden it goes back to doing nothing. The headlight will not come on and the starter will not engage. I try touching a few of the wires together again but this time it does nothing. Check all fuses again and everything is fine. It has been sitting since then, and i figured i should ask around first before messing with it again. Am i suppose to reset something or hook certain wires back up. Please anything will help. I would rather not take it to Harley and save myself the money. Thanks alot. Tim

Old 03-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Removed Speedo Bike Wont Start

First off.... Welcome aboard... Please take a moment to post an intro in the New Members Section...

1st sugg would be to reinstall the speedo....

2d would be to invest in the Service AND Electrical manuals....

Old 03-12-2008, 02:33 PM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know the speedo is part of the on board diagnostics and must be there. Like Bob said get the Service and Electrics manuals, I wouldn't work on my bike without one. I also have my bike's parts manual, it helps.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:12 AM
usaf_tim
Advanced

I have the Electrical Service manual for it. I looked at all the wires and it doesnt look like any need to be hooked up. I was thinking. "hey its a harley your suppose to cut it up and custimize it". I just cant see how they would make it to where they speedo HAS to be on. But maybe they do.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:08 PM
usaf_tim
Advanced

Ok I have fixed it. I had to trace back the ground wires. There is 2 that need to be grounded that run out of the connector. So I just put a nice little connector on it and grounded it to the frame. Looks good and runs like a champ! Thanks for the help and if anyone else is thinking about removing their headlight I can help ya out.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Vmshaw
Stage I
Default Remove Speedo, Bike won't start

I know this is an old thread, but I think I'm having the same problem. I decided to remove my speedo from my 2000 883 sporty. Got the speedo off but know the bike won't start. I'm assuming it has something to do with the bypass of computer controls, but I'm new to this and yes I have the manuals, but I know it has to be something simple that I'm overlooking. Any ideas?

Old 01-10-2019, 05:18 PM
bmac2008
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Brother, you are after my own heart. I did the same. There are 4 wires coming out of the speedo, one is black. Which 2 wires did you ground? See my post here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...tor-panel.html

Old 01-10-2019, 09:44 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

There are no computer controls or onboard diagnostic functions on the 03 and older xl models. Get the manual and make sure that all the grounds are wired up.
m

Old 01-11-2019, 08:02 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 626 Posts

that is not true. sportsters do have diagnostic functions in the speedo assy. my 01 has them although i do not use the hd system, i run after-market engine management.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:32 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

the only aftermarket "engine manannement" for your bike is an ignition control module and a hot rod carb, unless you converted to EFI, please do not post up bogus stuff. The term engine management system is usually related to fuel injection systems that were not used in XL's till much later. as a matter of fact, the first year to get speedo diagnostics for an XL was 04. except for the 1200S models.
m

Last edited by marcodarq; 01-11-2019 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Removed Speedo Bike Wont Start