Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

O2 sensor removal harmfull?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 04:53 PM
cubcake1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor removal harmfull?

I had an error on my bike, code p1004. EFI P1004 System Relay Contacts Closed EFI . So I called an independant HD mechanic I trust. He told me that the removal of the O2 sensors causes havoc to the bike, that HD spent lots of money on making the bike run well and in so installed these sensors on the bike, that even with the addition of a power commander, it causes problems with the rest of the bikes electronics, hence, causing the error on my bike.He recommended the Daytona Twin Tec instead of the power commander tokeep this from being a continuous issue, roughly $900.I disconnected the power commander and no more errors. I did a hard restart on the power commander, reloaed the map, and no problems.

So I guess the question is, Does removing the O2 sensors in any way harm the bike?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:11 PM
mikeurig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: O2 sensor removal harmfull?

Did the instructions say to remove the sensors? If not put them in. I never had a code running a power commander.
If the Power Commander causes problems with the bikes electronics, why is it a best seller?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:16 PM
cubcake1
Tourer

You do not have to remove the O2 sensors, however, I did not have my bike "dyno'd" and the choice of maps for my bike was better with the sensors removed.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:32 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

Did you take them out of the pipes or just unplugged them?

Glad your bike rides great.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:36 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

What size bolt is the o2 sensor?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:39 PM
cubcake1
Tourer

I dont know what size the O2 sensor is, I took them completely out when I replaced my pipes. The new pipes have a plug where the sensor goes.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:47 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

If you're asking about the threads I believe its 18mm. I had used a thread chaser to clean out my threads cause the sensors were cross-threaded.
I bought a 7/8 sensor socket to remove mine.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:55 AM
connsmith
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I put my TD's on my 07 it said you HAD to remove the sensors and install the to loopbacks on the O2 sensors for the power commander to work. I had the same setup as you and had no problems on my 07 EGlide. The loopback connectors allow the Power Commander to feed dummy signals to the EFI chip tricking it into thinking the sensors are installed and giving the correct feedback. The Power COmmander should have included two plugs for the O2 sensors.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 AM
cubcake1
Tourer

I did install the caps for the O2 sensors. Personally, I dont think not having the O2 sensors hurts the machine, it is just a different machine. From what I can tell, most HD owners take extreme care of thier bikes, you can tell this just from the many many oil threads. HD has the best stock setup they can with the EPA and other govt restrictions. My readings show a significantly cooler engine with the better air fuel mix with the PCIII and in the long run, I think this is better for the engine...

Old 04-08-2008, 08:21 AM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

cubcake, when I had my sporster I installed a PCIII and got errors on the plugging of the 02 sensors too. So I know what you mean, I run the VH fuelpak on my new night train, something about bypassing sensors on a computer that make me uneasy.

Quick Reply: O2 sensor removal harmfull?