Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Will lean-running w/ *8 injectors hurt me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Matt115
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will lean-running w/ *8 injectors hurt me?

I have the *8 injectors on my 06 RK Custom, and I've only riden it for a few miles. It seems very rough, but then again I've never ridden a harley before this, so maybe that's the way it's supposed to be. I also remember someone mentioning that the exhaust pings really bad after a short ride.

I just got back for a 5 mile ride in 38 degree weather, and the exhaust is pinging like crazy in my garage. And the header pipes are starting to blue. Mind you the bike only has 21 miles on it.

Any thoughts??

Old 03-04-2006, 08:18 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain
Default RE: Will lean-running w/ *8 injectors hurt me?

Matt115 is the exhaust pinging or is what you are hearing the actual expansion of the pipes and heat shields with the warm engine turned off?. Most people complain of spitting and backfiring or popping when backing off on the throttle which indicates a lean condition. Dont feel bad about the bluing on the header pipes. My "06" street glide has zero miles on the odometer and the header pipes are already blue just from the dealer starting the bike up in his shop before he delivered it to me. We still got alot of snow here thats why I havent ridden it yet. I also have the 8* injectors and will be heading to the dealer monday morning to see if I can get them changed to the 25* ones before I start riding and burn up a piston...........BG

Old 03-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Matt115
Advanced
Default RE: Will lean-running w/ *8 injectors hurt me?

Thanks BG, I guess I can live with the bluing. It's under the heat shields, anyway.

The pinging sound is the expansion of the pipes after the engine is turned off, but I don't remember hearing it that bad on my other bikes.

Considering it's so cold here right now, I have to ride with a full face helmet, so I can't hear much during the ride, but I do notice the popping and sight backfire on decel. When the weather gets better, I can ride without the helmet and hear better.

I hope it warms up quick for you, BG. I'd say bundle up and face the weather. It's a memorable experience, let me tell you. You know exactly where you should have added more clothing before jumping on the road.

Matt