Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Tune-up Blues

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 12:37 AM
mcpastor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tune-up Blues

Is sudden discoloration of pipes a sign of a mis-tuned engine?

Got my '06 FLSTCI back from the shop with its 5,000 mile service (actually 6,100 miles). First thing I noticed was my V&H Straightshots were even louder than before--that's good with me. (I had the Stage I breather kit and remapping done when I bought the bike back in May of '06.) Performance increased too. Lots more crackling and popping even at only 60-70 degrees temp outside. Usually this happens to this degree only when it's hotter, like 80-90. All this is still OK with me. However, I noticed on my staggered Straightshot pipes, some golden and bluing discoloration, but only on the second pipe where it is directly exposed to the exhaust from the first pipe. (These pipes have heat shields which are not supposed to discolor, but this is, as I said, from direct contact with exiting heated exhaust gases.) I have never noticed this before, and it got worse as I rode through the day. This is all still OK with me if this is the price for the sound and performance. I just don't want to be hurting my engine.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:16 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Tune-up Blues

Wow, I'm really new here and not an expert, but it sounds like that sucker is running way too lean.

If the fuel/air ratio is too low (not enough fuel in the mix) you won't have the cooling (refrigeration) effect of the vaporization and you will run really hot.

And yes, it can damage the engine, especially the valves and other top end parts.

Did they just do a computer download? Sounds like they did??

JB

Old 03-14-2007, 09:12 AM
mcpastor
Tourer

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

Wow, I'm really new here and not an expert, but it sounds like that sucker is running way too lean.

If the fuel/air ratio is too low (not enough fuel in the mix) you won't have the cooling (refrigeration) effect of the vaporization and you will run really hot.

And yes, it can damage the engine, especially the valves and other top end parts.

Did they just do a computer download? Sounds like they did??

JB
I'm not sure. I know the service manager said they tuned it up. I'll have to call him and see what that means. Maybe they remapped it with a different code.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:01 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Show him how hot it's getting. Those pipes will get his attention.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:52 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First thing I noticed was my V&H Straightshots were even louder than before--
WTF? Did they pull the baffels out? Now days with an EFI bike or car for that matter, all there is to a "tune up" is to replace the plugs and air filter.

I'd take it back quick or call and ask WTF did they do. Maybe they now owe you a new heat shield.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:30 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Nice catch, priceamp. I missed the part about louder. More airflow.

BTW, please tell me where you live. I want to steal your bike. Kidding of course, but that's a bitchin combo of chrome, stance and color.

JB

Old 03-15-2007, 11:59 PM
mcpastor
Tourer

ORIGINAL: priceamp

First thing I noticed was my V&H Straightshots were even louder than before--
WTF? Did they pull the baffels out? Now days with an EFI bike or car for that matter, all there is to a "tune up" is to replace the plugs and air filter.

I'd take it back quick or call and ask WTF did they do. Maybe they now owe you a new heat shield.
The shop service manager says they didn't remap or mess with baffles. They did put in new plugs. He said it's normal for the second pipe to get hot from the exhaust from the first. In fact, he says if you look at it at night it can actually glow red--no harm done--'cept a little discoloration. I asked about the deceleration popping, he says that's normal too with these pipes. WOW! If so, my bike's a LOT more normal now than it's ever been.

Anyone else out there got V&H Straightshots & SE Stage 1 breather?

Old 03-16-2007, 03:14 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

The inner pipes will discolor and glow red but the heat shields? BS. V&H Heat shields have never discolored on me.

Sounds to me like your mapping has the idle circuit too rich and the main circuit too lean.

I'd get a second opinion, for my $.02

JB

Old 03-16-2007, 06:08 PM
mcpastor
Tourer

Will getting a SERT or PCIII allow me to map it myself and experiment with different settings?