Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

glens, start your own thread here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 05:10 PM
mikeurig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default glens, start your own thread here.

Start:

Old 07-08-2008, 06:44 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: glens, start your own thread here.

Cool.&nbsp\\;Let's take on each term one at a time.&nbsp\\;Pick one.&nbsp\\;No whining if you don't "get it", just reword&nbsp\\;a/the question. Try to have solid backup for every claim.&nbsp\\; Data logs with seat of the pants observations are best, "My tuner friend once told me" is the worst.
&nbsp\\;
(A constent developed from the injector size and engine displacement)

X

(AFV) ... this is a slowly moving +/- 10% correction that can't be seen or reset with old SERT software

X

(Adaptive Fuel Tables VE Lookup) ... a multi celled table (of unknown size of&nbsp\\;X by Y and tied to either MAP or TPS and RPM)&nbsp\\;developed on what the ECU learns from the O2 in closed loop and may cleared on reflash. The ECU will all attempt to average these to 100 once the AFV homes in. These also can't be seen or with the old SERT software

X

(Main fuel tables VE Lookup) ... Based on the main VE table.

X

(MAP reading in KPA/100) ... Apparently is is there looking at the VE values and that the system is claimed to be a speed density system. The VE table is Alpha-N presentation. Note that&nbsp\\;the AFR targets and the timing tables are MAP based.

X

(Warmup fuel correction)

X

(The desired AFR)...This is verified when in closed loop.

X&nbsp\\;

(Intake Air Temp&nbsp\\;correction)

Old 07-08-2008, 07:10 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

My raw data logs are posted at http://www.ncs-stl.com/XIED/&nbsp\\;in dm2 and csv format
&nbsp\\;
The best free/shareware data log software I have found is located at http://www.ideasandsolutions.biz/Meg...ewer/download/
&nbsp\\;
If you know of better free or dirt cheep graphing software, please post a link and sample screen shot of what&nbsp\\;the graphing software&nbsp\\;can do.&nbsp\\; If you post SERT screen shots, please also post the raw DM2 log so that others can get to other file formats if required to understand your issue and get to a solution or work around.
&nbsp\\;
AW

Old 07-09-2008, 03:02 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

I will be happy to ask the first question.
&nbsp\\;
After reading as many sources of info as you can find on the differance between Speed-Density and Alpha-N EFI...
&nbsp\\;
How can Harley claim that this is a Speed Density system?&nbsp\\; The fueling is based on throttle position.
&nbsp\\;
see http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ics/index.html
&nbsp\\;
AW

Old 07-09-2008, 03:34 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Cool news.&nbsp\\; Glens just&nbsp\\;threw together&nbsp\\;software that will convert an new Harley Supertuner data logs into a csv format that the megalogviewer software can read. The data is coming off LilBudyWizer's bike recorded with the&nbsp\\;red button.&nbsp\\;You got to love hanging around brillent people.
&nbsp\\;
I bet if we get Glen together with the guy that wrote the megalogviewer software we can get this all down into&nbsp\\;one free package that all the guys running the new Harley stuff can use.
&nbsp\\;

&nbsp\\;
AW
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-11-2008, 06:44 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

OK, no takers on the first question, how about this one?
&nbsp\\;
If true VE is a correction for pumping losses at high RPM and is a correction for&nbsp\\;poor scavenging of the exhaust system at low RPM but typically maxes out at the torque peak... why do some of these bike commonly need huge VEs in over-run?
&nbsp\\;
Open the V-Rod base maps and look at the standard stage 1 VE tables
&nbsp\\;
See http://www.diyautotune.com/videos/me.../efibasics.mov&nbsp\\;and http://www.bgsoflex.com/megameet2008...ndamentals.pdf
&nbsp\\;
The explanation of VE starts on screen 23
&nbsp\\;
AW

Old 07-11-2008, 03:04 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Note to all.

I have (yet) no intention of validating this thread beyond saying, since it is supposed to be my playground, that Whittlebeast has carte-blanch here.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:44 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just guessing, but I assume ve over 100% is due to jet streams through the intake. As in it isn't actually over 100%, but rather there is a vacuum at the map sensor. It seems if it were simply scanvenging then the average of front and rear wouldn't be over 100%. There's also the possibility of thermal effects. It's hard to imagine how that would raise ve since it would imply the air in the cylinder is cooler than the air at the sensor. The IAT is higher than atmospheric so it is a possibility if you're getting jet streams through the intake. Air would effectively pool outside the jet stream and heat up more than the air in the jet stream.
&nbsp\\;
Since Glens doesn't seem to care for this thread and the three of us seem to be all that's interested in this why don't we start another thread. Perhaps "EFI Theory and Practice". Maybe develop some theories and devise some tests to prove/disprove them. That is, after all, the fun part, i.e. riding the bike

Old 07-12-2008, 01:59 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a feeling the VE table values are not meant to necessarily denote actual VE. Probably just easiest place to account for vagaries.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:18 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

va·gar·y

&nbsp\\;
Audio Help&nbsp\\;/vəˈgɛəri, ˈveɪri/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[vuh[/i]-gair[/b]-ee, vey[/b]-guh[/i]-ree]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -gar·ies.

an unpredictable or erratic action, occurrence, course, or instance: the vagaries of weather the vagaries of the economic scene.

a whimsical, wild, or unusual idea, desire, or action.

Quick Reply: glens, start your own thread here.