Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT EFI VS Carb

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 10:17 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts
Default SERT EFI VS Carb

Does anybody know what the difference in the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner for the EFI VS the Carb model.

Is the difference just in the software or is there some other hook. Has anybody tried a "Carb" SERT on an EFI.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:28 PM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: SERT EFI VS Carb

There is no SERT for a Carb. The SERT is a software and hardware package used to tune EFI bikes only. They do make an adjustable MAP ignition module that uses a program that looks similar to a SERT but is only used for ignition and not EFI. They are not interchangeable.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:35 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts

Has anybody tried a "Carb" SERT on an EFI.
I'd like to meet him if he did, I'd buy him dinner too

Old 03-11-2006, 11:49 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: springer_

There is no SERT for a Carb. The SERT is a software and hardware package used to tune EFI bikes only. They do make an adjustable MAP ignition module that uses a program that looks similar to a SERT but is only used for ignition and not EFI. They are not interchangeable.
I just copied this right from the Screaming Eagle Catalog. Page 33.

Here is one at a Harley Dealer. So unless there is an early Arpil fools joke running around, the dang thing does exist.

The connection block looks the same. That is my question. Is the software that makes it different or is the electronics completely different.

http://www.hmhd.com/webstore/viewite...pname=viewprod

Now does anybody know the difference. Maby we can all go to dinner.

SCREAMIN’ EAGLE® PRO
IGNITION RACE TUNER SYSTEM
This software-based ignition package is the ultimate way
to make timing and rev limit changes to 2004 and later
carbureted Harley-Davidson® motorcycles. This system
is programmed with all the current Screamin’ Eagle
Race-Use ignition maps, and allows fine-tuning of each
one. The complete kit includes tuning software on a CD,
a communications interface that electronically locks to
the ignition control module, and the required cables to
connect a PC to the vehicle. The software contains an
electronic User’s Manual to aid in selecting the ideal
ignition map for the vehicle configuration. For race
application only.
32124-04B Fits ’04-later carbureted models. $339.95

Old 03-12-2006, 12:00 AM
springer_
Road Captain

Read what you typed. "SCREAMIN’ EAGLE® PRO IGNITION RACE TUNER SYSTEM"

SERT = "Screamin Eagle Race Tuner"
SEPIRTS = NOT a SERT.

If you re-read my post you see this is the EXACT item I was telling you about that ONLY works with the IGNITION and NOT the EFI. If you want to tune an EFI, you need a SERT. There is NO SERT for a carb. The item you describe works with IGNITION and in NO way tunes your carb. There is no seperate ignition module on the EFI models and the Ignition tuner you are asking about WILL NOT WORK on a EFI model.

In your initial post you asked "Is the difference just in the software or is there some other hook. Has anybody tried a "Carb" SERT on an EFI." That is what I answered.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:11 AM
springer_
Road Captain

By the way, I was trying to be helpful. I was not trying to **** you off. Sorry you took offence to my post and I doubt it was an april fools joke in the catalog also.

Good luck with it.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:23 AM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Look guys I don't want to get in a pissing contest over the labels of this equipment. I know what Harley calls them and what Harley says they will do.

I am the kind of person that likes to think outside the box. I have been in electronics and computers for over 30 years. I have hooked equipment up to things that the factory tech reps swear will not work together.

Both of these units have an electronics interface module that connects to the ECM in the motorcycle. They look the same. Are they different inside.

This interface module allows the person that uses the software to read information from the ecm and to down load maps to the ECM.

What I want to know is and what I was asking is, has anybody had the ***** to connect a carb interface module using the EFI software to a EFI equipped motorcycle and tried to make it work.

Now if you cannot provide me with meaningful information to this end, or you have not actually done this and know for a fact it will not work, or you don't have a good joke to pass on. Well have a nice day.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:33 AM
springer_
Road Captain

There is no ECM on a carb bike. The ECM is for EFI ONLY. The carb based bike only has an ignition module. The items are completely different electronically.

Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:37 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts

Lee

Sorry if I came across to you the wrong way here but the question you asked about the difference between the units could be logically answered like this. Why would you want to try a cross like this when the parameters for the fuel injection and carb are different for starters. Even if it would physically hook up without destroying anything, I seriously doubt there would be anything to gain doing it in this manner. There are many differences between the two systems (carb & EFI) just here alone that would cause multiple problems if they were try to be connected to one another (if they could be). Your choice here if you would like to try it and run the risk of flaming the ECM depending on which way you choose to go.

Why not just purchase the one needed to perform the task you are trying to do?

Old 03-12-2006, 02:55 AM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Both of the interface modules that Harley provides with these kits appears to be the same. That module takes a signal from the box in the motorcycle and converts it into a Rs-232 serial port signal that is fed into the laptop computer, and it takes the signal from the computer and converts it back to the box.

The software that you are running takes that signal and uses it in its graphic interface. I have no intention in trying to use the carb software on a EFI system.

There are ways of verifing the data path in the cable before connecting it, and if I had to change a pin placement that is easy enough to.

I have found the carb versions of the sert for $50 or less. So if the interface is a common unit and the only difference is the software. The SERT software for the EFI unit is available from several places I have heard for less than $20.

I have found other items in the main catalog that Harley has changed the part numbers and the price for a new model motorcycle.

If i can put together a functioning SERT for the EFI systems for less than $100, well.

I might be all wet. I have been caught in the rain before.

Quick Reply: SERT EFI VS Carb