Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

I need help with my SERT!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 05:40 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I need help with my SERT!!!!!!

I’m screwed. I cannot get the SERT to talk to the ECM. I’ve tried on 2 different laptops!!! I’m so mad right now it’s unreal. I even came home early from work so I could load everything up. I have no idea what’s wrong.

On one laptop I’m using a USB to serial connector because it doesn’t have a serial port. This connector works on all other items that I need it to convert to serial for so I know it’s good. The other laptop is older and has a serial port but it’s not wanting to talk either.

I've got the correct COM ports selected on each laptop, COM4 for the first laptop and COM3 for the second. Neither will work and I'm at a loss.

Can somebody please help????? Are there any other settings I need to look for or change??

Old 03-30-2006, 06:19 PM
mchaous
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I need help with my SERT!!!!!!

I would say that the SERT is not able to read the speed of the USB which is being converted to serial. I read that people might have problems trying this. That is why I have been holding off and just using my Power Commander USB. I'm waiting for them to upgrade the SERT. serial is old technology very old in computer terms.

I could suggest you try getting a PCI card with serial if you have a PCI slot.

Other then that you are going to have to find a PC with serial.

My 5 cents.

Old 03-30-2006, 06:39 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain

In case you missed where I mentioned it above, I tried on a 2nd laptop with a serial port and it still will not work.

I'm at my wits end.....

Old 03-30-2006, 08:00 PM
mchaous
Cruiser

Sorry I did miss the other laptop with serial port.

On this issue if it doesn't work I also read somewhere that you have to have the latest updates for your operating system or you could run into problems. I imagine the one with the serial port is older and I'm wondering what version of windows and how current the updates are in it.

I have looked at the SERT instructions on setup and they seem to be pretty stricked on getting connected to the bike. Other problems I've heard are, If the year of the bike is 2003? or less the vin number in the ECM may have problems. I heard a variety of small things that can cause frustrations.

I wish I could help but as I said I held off on moving to SERT until they updated there comunications. Serial is just to old and out of date for me.

Hope you can find the answer and if you do you may want to publish it here so others don't have to pull there hair out on it.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:11 PM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No joke, but is the RUN switch on your handle bars on? This is a very commonly overlooked and can cause this.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:48 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: springer_

No joke, but is the RUN switch on your handle bars on? This is a very commonly overlooked and can cause this.
Springer,

I figured this out about 2.5 hours into my dilema. Sure enough the RUN switch was not on. The SERT directions make NO mention of this, they only say to turn the ingition on which on my bike tells me that's just turning the key to IGNITION which lights everything up and turns the ignition circuit on. I finally went into the Help files and low and behold they mention the RUN switch on the handlebars needs to be turned on as well. I would think they would mention that in the actual directions but whatever.

I consider myself a pretty intelligent person but today I got outsmarted by a little black box.

Thanks all for your help. And yes I feel like a complete idiot. Perhaps this post will help someone else from following my mistake.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:03 AM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK now tell us how much stuff you broke around you in fustration be honest? Damn it I hate when that happens it's always something simple.
ORIGINAL: PowerCobra98

ORIGINAL: springer_

Springer,

I figured this out about 2.5 hours into my dilema. Sure enough the RUN switch was not on. The SERT directions make NO mention of this, they only say to turn the ingition on which on my bike tells me that's just turning the key to IGNITION which lights everything up and turns the ignition circuit on. I finally went into the Help files and low and behold they mention the RUN switch on the handlebars needs to be turned on as well. I would think they would mention that in the actual directions but whatever.

I consider myself a pretty intelligent person but today I got outsmarted by a little black box.

Thanks all for your help. And yes I feel like a complete idiot. Perhaps this post will help someone else from following my mistake.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:16 AM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

I'm happy to hear that you got all that straightened out. I went through the same frustration with my SERT. First laptop wouldn't function using the USB. Then there was the issue with the 'run' switch.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:59 AM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotha as well - had me going for a few seconds as well. I didn't see the note in the manual, just thought to give it a try. Good luck with the SERT.

Old 03-31-2006, 10:05 AM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: lil_gmac2

OK now tell us how much stuff you broke around you in fustration be honest? Damn it I hate when that happens it's always something simple.
I was ready to put all the cables, the little black box, and the bike in one heap on the ground, pour gasoline over everything and ignite it all the while dancing a jig around it.

Quick Reply: I need help with my SERT!!!!!!