Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

stage 1 hd download question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:16 PM
fatbobbranden
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stage 1 hd download question

Hi everyone...I have a 09 fat bob with 2" rush slipons and just picked up a se stage 1 air breather... 4 local dealers say I need to spend my money on a SERT....called a dealer in Delaware ( I live in NJ) and he told me that with my mods I would only need to do a stage one download to keep my bike from running lean (dont know what this is but says my bike will run fine and I will only be spending $200 as compared to a billiondy). Im not looking to squeeze every last bit of hp and torque out of my bike. I just wanted it to be louder than a moped..slipons did it for me. I guess my question is that with out expectng any hp gains out of this download and just wanting to not destroy my bike will this do the trick.......oh yea also heard that with this download if I loose power to my bike (battery disco'd) I will loose the download. Just making sure that when I take my bike for its 1000 mile my local shop wont accidently disconnect the battery and put me back to square one minus $200.Im so lost can anyone help.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:36 PM
txtec
Banned
Default download

the download will do, but the sert is better. you cant loose the download by disconnecting the battery,only another reflash will remove it.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:06 AM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had SE AC and Rush pipes installed on my 09 Ultra. They did not have a SERT or a Pro Tuner out yet when I bought mine so I just did the stage 1 download. Bike ran so good that I cancelled the ProTuner. Have 5 thousand miles on it now and does great. You will never loose your download even when you take the battery out. I got the download done for $150.00. Bike runs very strong. Night and day improvement over stock.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:32 AM
fatbobbranden
6th Gear

thanks for the input...put my mind at ease.Going to do the stage one and hope everything goes well...

Old 01-27-2009, 08:56 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

A little different twist, why don't you skip the stage 1 AC and do just the slipons with the stage 1 download? If'n it was me and I was looking for a better sound and not more power I'd float that dirrection. I'm setting in line for a 2010 Triglide which I figure on tossing some slipons on it and a stage 1 download without the AC to see how well it richens it up, if it isn't good enough I'll go with the TTS and get it right. If you add the stage 1 AC your going to increase air flow which is ok for makeing more power but, you need the extra fuel to go with that extra air flow and the stage 1 download isn't going to provide it all.

I get a giggle out of those that think a download or a canned map will get it done. I see folks bolting on PC III's and a canned map from un-named sources and they think their good to go. Sure if close enough is good enough thats all fine and well. If you want it right it has to go onto a dyno and be tuned by a good tuner. There are just to many differences to think a canned map will get it done. Folks don't consider differences in injector flow rates, fuel pressure and flow from pump to pump, differences in compression from bike to bike. A canned map is going to have rich and lean spots and spots where timing is not optimized.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 AM
fatbobbranden
6th Gear

only reason i put on the stage 1 ac is because i got it cheap. Was wondering if anyone knew what download harley uses say on a cvo fat bob considering it has se slipons and a higher flow ac from factory...if the stock map will work for the cvo with these accessories wouldnt a stage 1 download work for mine and a better question is that if a stage 1 download wont work for mine with slipons and a stage 1 ac what would the stage 1 download be good for

Old 01-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Crazycalvin
Cruiser

Hey Fatbobbranden, I think I answered your CVO vs stock map question already in that thread. I have already personaly went the "Cartridge Flash" on my '06 Deuce. I would not do the flash again; the $ you spend on the flash can be put towards the $$$ of a SEST or TTS.
This post can shed some light on using a SEST or TTS over a Power Commander:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/4393897-post153.html

The "flash" has the possibility of being perfect for your bike, but more than likely will not be perfect for your bike due to manufacturing tolerances, etc.
If you keep your bike, eventually you will probably do something to it that requires a change in tuning. Guess what, your flash is now useless and the $150 you spent on a flash could have been money spent towards a tuning device such as SEST or TTS which have "Stage 1" downloads with them. I like the SEST over the TTS because the SEST can record data on it's own and the TTS requires a laptop connected while recording data, but that is just my personal preference. Hope this helps. Later, Calvin.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:02 PM
txtec
Banned
Cool

Originally Posted by msocko3
A little different twist, why don't you skip the stage 1 AC and do just the slipons with the stage 1 download? If'n it was me and I was looking for a better sound and not more power I'd float that dirrection. I'm setting in line for a 2010 Triglide which I figure on tossing some slipons on it and a stage 1 download without the AC to see how well it richens it up, if it isn't good enough I'll go with the TTS and get it right. If you add the stage 1 AC your going to increase air flow which is ok for makeing more power but, you need the extra fuel to go with that extra air flow and the stage 1 download isn't going to provide it all.

I get a giggle out of those that think a download or a canned map will get it done. I see folks bolting on PC III's and a canned map from un-named sources and they think their good to go. Sure if close enough is good enough thats all fine and well. If you want it right it has to go onto a dyno and be tuned by a good tuner. There are just to many differences to think a canned map will get it done. Folks don't consider differences in injector flow rates, fuel pressure and flow from pump to pump, differences in compression from bike to bike. A canned map is going to have rich and lean spots and spots where timing is not optimized.
while your giggling about your dyno tune that was done on a 70 deg day,think about what your air fuel ratio is when your riding on a 90 deg day, or your air filter gets a little dirty,humidity changes,baffles get carboned up.hows your perfect dyno tune then?? a canned map may not be perfect but it beats riding a dyno everyday.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 PM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master

My opinion is:
adding slipons will sound better.
adding slipons with high flow AC , bike will run better but you need something to richen it up.
adding slipons with high flow AC is even better with a stage 1 download - this will do.
adding slipons with high flow AC with SERT or Supertuner and dynotune is the only real way to go.
PC111 or PCV is also an improvement but I don't want to lose my 02 sensors this time. Did the PC111 on last bike.

Have the slipons and AC with the stage 1 download now. Runs great and really pulls but rich and MPG are down.

I will be doing a SERT, TTS or the Harley replacement in the near future. Got to pace yourself when you have a boat. Got to shovel money at them both. Besides, I just added a air ride system and center stand. I am still on restriction.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:10 PM
fatbobbranden
6th Gear

thanks much for all the info

Quick Reply: stage 1 hd download question