Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dealer "Fixed" My Intermittent Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Updated the ECM to fix Check Engine Light

My 02 FLHRI RK had a check engine light one or twice every 50 or so miles. Took to the dealer today and they Updated the ECM Firmware and said it should take care of the problem.

Service writer told me that (the mech told him) it had a "low compression front cyl " and an "open coil" code. He also told me these were "nonsense" codes. Just curious, anyone know about ECM FIrmware updates to fix rouge codes like this?

Last edited by Kbore; 06-20-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:47 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I guess no one knows the answer. I just returned from a 2500 mile trip on my 07 FLHRS and Saturday the check engine light started coming on when going over 75 mph and shutting off when I slowed down to about 72 or 73 mph. On Sunday it came on about ten minutes into the day's trip, stayed on for a couple of minutes, went off and never came back on regardless of speed, the rest of the trip. Now I am going to try to figure this out without going to the dealer.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Randy Kint
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light

I am having a similiar problem with my 06 ultra classic. I also was getting the battery light to come on and noticed my voltage meter readings would drop down to 10. This usually happens after an extended amount of riding time. I am still using the original battery. Do I need to replace the battery? I checked terminals and they looked good, however; they were a little loose at the connections so I tightened them up and recharged battery. I am waiting to see if this solves the battery problem, but after I start the bike up the check engine lite comes on momentarily then goes out. Any ideas or suggestions? Would like to fix myself as I currently am unemployed and really don't want to pay to have it fixed, if you know what I mean!

Thanks, Randy

Old 08-25-2009, 01:08 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine kep coming on and tey kept clearing the codes and it showed everything alright. turns out there was a wire in the wiring bundle ground out once in awhile causing it to come on. That fixed the problem. While I was there an old biker told me "the next time it comes on, just put some electrical tape over it and forget about it as long as the bike's running ok".

Old 08-25-2009, 02:23 PM
KSGG
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Randy Kint
I am having a similiar problem with my 06 ultra classic. I also was getting the battery light to come on and noticed my voltage meter readings would drop down to 10. This usually happens after an extended amount of riding time. I am still using the original battery. Do I need to replace the battery? I checked terminals and they looked good, however; they were a little loose at the connections so I tightened them up and recharged battery. I am waiting to see if this solves the battery problem, but after I start the bike up the check engine lite comes on momentarily then goes out. Any ideas or suggestions? Would like to fix myself as I currently am unemployed and really don't want to pay to have it fixed, if you know what I mean!

Thanks, Randy
Randy,
I don't have the luxury of the volt meter on mine, but got the battery and chk engine light on mine about 175 non-stop miles into my Saturday cruise. Light would go out when I got back on the highway up around 50 MPH, and stayed out until I got back into town and slowed down after a couple of stoplights.

Anyway, the shop manual says if your check engine light comes on after you start the bike and then stays on for about 8 seconds, you have a historic "event" that is stored in the bikes ECM memory. Meaning something happened, but cleared itself up.

If the check engine light stays on, then the problem is still happening or "current".

If your light is going out after 8 seconds, and the "event" doesn't happen again after "50 trip" cycles, trip being a start-run cycle, the historic code will clear itself and your check engine light won't come on after starting the bike.

I have the extended warranty on mine, but can't get her in until next Tues. I checked battery connections, voltage with her sitting 24 hrs and key off, is 12.35 volts, ignition on 11.9 volts, running 11.9 volts, revving the throttle doesn't increase the voltage.
Having bought mine used, I don't know if the battery is the original or not. If I take it in and pay the $50 co-pay and the battery is the culprit, warranty doesn't cover that, so I'm out an extra $50. If I buy a battery, and it's something in the charging system, then I'm out the battery cost, which is more than the $50. Don't know how long the batteries are good for. If it was a 4 wheeled vehicle, I'd say 4 years was a good run for a battery.

Last edited by KSGG; 08-25-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Saen O'Neill
Stage IV
Exclamation Engine light

My 07 Ultra started blowing the radio fuse as well as the engine light flashing off and on. Local mechanics couldn't find it. I took the fairing off and after about five minutes of slapping every wire, I saw the spark! A wire bundle was rubbing against a support bracket which chewed the wire to a small bare spot. Problem solved. Also I encourage anyone with factory fairing to take it apart and inspect the support brackets, at the time of this adventure I found 3 out of 4 brackets broken at the attaching points. I love my ride but am getting discouraged by the use of cheap metal and the design flaws I am encountering.