Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

i have a headache........need help on decision-PC3 or SERT

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 02:20 PM
waterman7474
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have a headache........need help on decision-PC3 or SERT

seriously.................i'm on a few web boards but this one might just send me to the eye doctor................and i don't wear glasses!!!!

here's the scoop. my 06 fxsti will be here in a week or so. it's brand new but probably not a brand new code (it's an early model 06 but it's still been in the crate.....long story)
among a few other things, right off the bat - motor related , i'm thinkin' samson outlaws (or yaffe skirt blowers or street sweepers, in that order), intake (probably just a stage1 (but i'm kinda diggin' the forcewinder) and the program of some sort. however, after all the reading, i really can't tell wich one.

and if it helps:
i really don't plan on doing anything else to the motor anytime soon (at least a year & 1/2) except maybe a cam (nothing that requires major motor dismantling). i will probably go w/ a badlander seat (or something low/long and similar, if that helps. i see issues on where to put the box). also, i do have a laptop and i am pretty comp. savy but i know jack and **** about tuning and jack just moved!!

[too bad they don't make this software for a pocket pc (not a palm), then i might be able to do the tuning on the fly and understand how one change at a time effects things]

oh yeah, and don't plan on doing this at the dealer either. the pompus-ness of vegas definately finds it's way into the dealerships here and there are a few shops around. although i'm not sure about whether or not they have dynos.

so, which is more practical?

thanks for the help

Old 06-30-2006, 04:32 PM
CJKCyclone
Intermediate
Default RE: i have a headache........need help on decision-PC3 or SERT

My $.02 - I'm no expert, just getting started in all this.

I have a 06 FXSTI as well. I have the High Flow Air Filter, V&H BigShot Staggards (w/ quiet baffles), and the SERT. I just had mine dyno'd at just under 79 for both Torque and HP. From my limited experience on these boards, that seems to be among the highest I have seen for Stage 1. I also undertsand that Dynos are different...not always apples to apples. The guys at my dealer seem to have a lot of faith in their dyno guy though.

The dealer explained a little bit about how SERT works and it sounds awesome. I am also computer savy and will definitely play around with the software before changing any mapping. It supposedly has great documentation. There have been a couple posts on this site and V-Twin Forum that explain some of the features in detail. I look forward to playing around with it.

Good luck

Old 06-30-2006, 08:33 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's easy to get lost in your tuning and really get out of line. Been there, done that. There's a real learning curve. You can do it, but it will take more than a day. And you also need a wide band O2 sensor and the knowledge to use that, too.

If this were my bike (and it's not) I would install the Terry Components closed loop system. Install and ride. Done.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:51 PM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I returned my sert because it's not plug and play and you need to keep doing test runs or race runs to get your tweaks dialed in.The maps are geared towards SE products only or you really have to know the peak outputs that your pipe,muff set up can put out.
I went with the PCIII because they have maps for a wide range of pipe/muff combos,and its load and ride.Dyno tune is to get the most out of the map you chose.
It's also compatable for big eng mods you might consider later on.
I haven't dynoed yet(soon),but my bike runs great as is.
Just my 2 pennies bro good luck,and let us know which one you choose?

Old 07-01-2006, 12:53 PM
cajunman831
Tourer

hi,
i,d go with pc three,stage 1 kit and vance and hines big shots staggered.i have them on my 2005 fat boy and 2006 fxd.good gains of 10% in power and good fuel consumption.you get what u want.thought i,d throw some advice.price wise ..you,re looking at 1500.00 bucks.
good luck

Old 07-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Von Erik
Advanced

From what I've read they're both good products, got their own pro's and con's. I've got a PC3 on my 02 softail, been real happy with it except it has to stay on the bike. The SERT's main drawback from what I've read is price. Saw another post saying you have to pay a dealer for the right to mess with your own ECM...
If those are the only two on your list and if you can afford it, go with the SERT. I don't know where the ECM is on the Dyna's, but I'd bet money that if it's under the seat a PC3 won't fit comfortably under that Badlander.
Then find a good dyno guy with a good word of mouth rep and let him build you a map. Then ride it like that for a while before you start jacking with it. And have him save you a copy of the map on disk so you can reload it after you jack with it

Old 07-02-2006, 02:53 PM
rde
Road Captain

Both the PC III usb and SERT are excellent products. Each has its pros and coms and you can do a search to review the comments. My strong recommendation is that you chose the tuner your dyno shop feels most comfortable with. In the end its the dyno tune that really matters, not whether you have a SERT or PC III. Both will get you there

Old 07-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Von Erik
Advanced

ORIGINAL: rde

My strong recommendation is that you chose the tuner your dyno shop feels most comfortable with. In the end its the dyno tune that really matters, not whether you have a SERT or PC III. Both will get you there
What he said!

Old 07-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Steele
Cruiser

I'd suggest Tylenol for the headache, SERT for a race tuner.

Take 2 with lots of beer and email back in the morning.