Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

The Idle is driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Getyurmotorunnin
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Idle is driving me nuts

Im having trouble understanding why the cold idle has to be so high.
It idles at appx 2k which I understand is the norm or a PC III but
I dont understand why? I need to understand why so I
can get use it. I want to be able to start up and wait a few sec
to warm up and leave, but I dont feel its good on the trans to
bang it in first at 2k rpm. Help me understand? Thanks.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:56 AM
12pack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 06 Ultra Idles up to about 1500 for 10 sec. then falls below 1000 I wait for about 30 sec. then it's in gear and I'm gone.. Stage 1 air cleaner, PC, and some slip ons..

Old 11-27-2009, 10:02 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Getyurmotorunnin
Sorry but 2k is a bit high. Normal should be 1300-1500 cold and in about a minute dropping slowly to normal idle. Check the IAC unit and maybe head temp sensor. Maybe there's a setting somewhere in the pc that could help. Agree, shifting into first at 2k really blows, as well as scaring women and children close by.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 11-27-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,036 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Getyurmotorunnin
Being that your bike is a 2001 I would like to ask if it is Dephi or the Magneti Marelli EFI which was made between 1999-2001.

If it is the MM you will find they had high idle issues but there is an idle screw that you can use to reduce the RPM's if necessary. However, I do not recommend it. For further EFI explanation you can click Here and get a working knowledge of the EFI systems in general.

A PCIII doesn't control the idle RPM's, it only fools the ECM fuel tables, changes the timing and installs a accelerator pump like action to increase the fuel during throttle twist.

The idle, for any EFI system, is controlled by the ECM using the motor temp sensor which adjusts the Idle Control Module on the throttle body. The adjustments can only be found or adjusted using special software to view the IAC tables as stated by rbabos. This software is either the Harley Digital Technician (dealership only) or something like the SERT or SEST or TTS (or other devices that can update the ECM) software only.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:03 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take off the air cleaner and clean the throttle body, clean the two holes at the top of each throat as they control the idle air flow.

That should help, if not roll the throttle until you see the second idle adjustment screw. It controls the cold fast idle speed.

Use a long torx driver and back it out about 1/8 of a turn. Restart the bike to check the rpm. If it is better remove the fuel pump and ecm fuse under the right side cover for about 15 min. Reinstall the fuses and switch the ignition on and let the IAC motor cycle untill it stops. Switch off again, wait a few seconds until you hear the circuit breaker trip. Cycle it one more time.

To the right and lower part of the throttle body is the hot idle screw. You can turn it out to lower the rpm. When lowering the rpm you don't need to remove fuses. When raising the rpm you have to remove the fuses to reset the idle memory.

I have a 2000 RK with cams big bore, ported heads, and a PC 3 USB and I don't have idle issues. The Magnetti Marelli system needs occasional maintenance and adjustments. Keep it clean. A good dyno tune with a good tuner operator will improve the overall function of the system. Dyno tuned by Max Power, Concord, NC.

Last edited by ajayrk; 11-27-2009 at 11:09 AM.