Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Leaner AFR, later ignition? 100K miles wideband sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:00 AM
GAguy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaner AFR, later ignition? 100K miles wideband sensors?

I would like to have 14.7 perfect (for cars ) AFR but I am worried that leaner mix burns faster which means ignition has to be adjusted later than factory.
I read somewhere about 100K miles wideband sensors, is that 4.9? If I buy AFR gauge and sensor and install it permanently how long will sensor last? $174 is not so bad from Ebay but I don't feel like changing sensor every week like tuners do.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:38 AM
roadking1893
Tourer

I am confused or maybe just one old "Salty chief" who does not understand and hav been mis-lead. How would you control the AFR through the oxygen sensor (narrow or wide band)? The only way I've found to do that is use the XIED's from Night Rider, those are pre-set with altered voltage to lean out the system and eventual giving you is 13.8:1. The other way is what I am working on, with a plug and play system to you dial in the voltage the oxygen sensor is sending to the ECU.

One thing I am not familiar with is, if the stock ECU is set at 14.1:1 or leaner. With the data I discovered the HD TC (in my case 96) engine is happy running lean even at the stoichoimetric mixture (14.7:1). so going with a wide band I would think will not give you the control you are looking for and the wide bank will not plug into your stock oxygen system, unless you figured out a way to go from two pin plug to five pin plug. Most wide band oxygen out there are similar to what is being used on the Thunder Max with Auto tune. those O2 sensor are not campatable with a narrow band. I could be worng, but having had both system on my bike. You'll need to do some serious re-wiring and among other perameters.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GAguy, You need a wideband O2 sensor only if you want to run outside the 14.6 +/- .5 range the narrowband sensor is good for. You can certainly read the voltage across the O2 sensor, there are charts around that convert to A/F given your fuel characteristics.

What year bike, how will you be adjusting A/F while you ride? I believe the late models are set for 14.6 closed loop or so from the factory.

Last edited by ColdCase; 01-12-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: I confused roadking I think
Old 01-12-2010, 01:47 PM
roadking1893
Tourer

Coldcase. I have a 2007 RKC. If the stock ECU is set at 14.6:1 that means the O2 sensor voltage signal is around .450-500mv. If the question is for me: how am I adjusting the AFR as I ride, you don't. It is adjusted as you idle of course to fine tune your bike. In my case I've been fine tuning my new system and currently running at stoichoimetric value 14.7:1. running about .415mv.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:15 PM
GAguy
Banned

I have 99 Ultra. I installed 4-wire narrow band sensor ($25) and by checking voltage I can adjust fuel table of PC III. It would be easier with wide band but narrow band works OK too. I will write about it later, almost done adjusting.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:20 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GAGuy - the name just cracks me up. Sorry.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GAguy
I would like to have 14.7 perfect (for cars ) AFR but I am worried that leaner mix burns faster which means ignition has to be adjusted later than factory.
I read somewhere about 100K miles wideband sensors, is that 4.9? If I buy AFR gauge and sensor and install it permanently how long will sensor last? $174 is not so bad from Ebay but I don't feel like changing sensor every week like tuners do.
14.7 is optimum for automobiles, yes... Big Twin, in an unloaded cruising scenario, yes, but you are working with an air cooled big twin, that has the Magnetti-Marelli ECM, and it is an Alpha-N efi type system, meaning that the injectors and advance are controlled by the Throttle position sensor relationship to CKP/CMP signal.... That is why, with your PCIII, you will need to PROPERLY dyno-tune it, to get the OPTIMUM fuel and spark tables designed, because doing it on the fly with an o2 sensor, DVOM, cellphone and masking tape wont cut it, as it is unsafe...

Ignition time is subjective to the design of the internals (Cam Profile, heads, compression, piston contour, etc...), and the PCIII does a decent job, but to accurately do it, again, it needs to be on a dyno, to accurately ISOLATE the problematic or nuisance areas, and correct the timing curve....

Sensors last as long as they last, it depends on how fouled up they get from operating in extremely rich environs... As for tuners changing them out every week, I dunno where you got that info from, but the sensors on our machines have lasted almost 14 mos. before I swithed them out....

BTW, Welcome back Car...

Last edited by Shovelhead Bob; 01-12-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:36 PM
txtec
Banned

i think your right bob,car5car is back.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:57 AM
GAguy
Banned

Originally Posted by txtec
i think your right bob,car5car is back.
Who is car5car?

Old 01-13-2010, 07:36 AM
GAguy
Banned

Originally Posted by roadking1893
Coldcase. I have a 2007 RKC. If the stock ECU is set at 14.6:1 that means the O2 sensor voltage signal is around .450-500mv. If the question is for me: how am I adjusting the AFR as I ride, you don't. It is adjusted as you idle of course to fine tune your bike. In my case I've been fine tuning my new system and currently running at stoichoimetric value 14.7:1. running about .415mv.
Do you control your O2 voltage? Does it stay at .415? According to all diagrams I found on internet and diagram in tuning manual I bought, voltages between 200 and 650 are 14.7 AFR. Voltage jumps up and down but stay pretty close if rich or lean. Here is example of voltages before adjustment 1000Rpm x 0% throttle:
866, 877, 852, 863 875 833 818
I don't adjust when I ride, I adjust then test ride, then do it again.

Quick Reply: Leaner AFR, later ignition? 100K miles wideband sensors?