Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

No spark, no fuel pump priming

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:11 AM
idrivemywifecrazy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark, no fuel pump priming

Last week I installed a new Shaft extension and compensating sprocket nut. I rode my bike into the gargage before I changed out the parts but cannot get it started now. I didn't do anything electrical but for some reason I have lost the fuel pump priming cycle and the spark at the plug. I did turn the engine over with the plugs out of the holes to make sure nothing was binding after I did my Primary work. Could I have cooked a start relay, ECM, fuel pump sending unit, or coil in the process of turning the bike over with no ground to the plugs?

I will drive 2 hours to my nearest Harley Dealer tomorrow to purchase an Electrical Diagnostic Manual. I will probably buy a new Start Relay for $5.00 and maybe a new System Relay for kicks and giggles. Should I consider the pump or sending unit or coil? Does anyone know how to test these items?

Another note of interest is that when I remove the fuel pump fuse and test for power with my test light....I am recieving power to the fuse terminal during the pump priming cycle, BUT...when I plug the fuse back in I lose the power. I am leaning towards the Start relay or the Fuel pump sending unit.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:03 AM
UpCountry
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: no spark. no prime

Check your hheadlight high and low and your horn. they should work. now check your turn signals, they probably don't work. are you getting any error codes? ignition power loss will cause the above symtoms. check the ignition fuse. if blown you'll have to figure out why. mine was a pinched wire in the right hand switch housing.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:13 AM
idrivemywifecrazy
4th Gear
Default Fuses are good

Thanks for the reply. Checked fuses, all are ok. I have power to speedo when the run switch is turned on, also I have power to the PCIII, I can see the lights while the fuel pump is supposed to be running through it's priming cycle. Headlight works on both High and low beams, marker lights work, and horn works. What next?

Old 06-05-2010, 02:15 AM
idrivemywifecrazy
4th Gear

I did find a pinched wire but after repairing with a good soldered connection, symptoms didnot change.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:01 AM
eleft
Tourer

What is the sending unit you speak of?

What year and model Bike?

Al

Old 06-05-2010, 11:18 AM
idrivemywifecrazy
4th Gear
Default 2005 Heritage Fire Fighter edition with a stage 2 upgrade

It is the fuel pump sending unit. It is wired into the same bulkhead connector as the fuel pump and is located under the console. Now that you ask me that question Al, I have not checked to see if I have power there. I will make sure I check that before I head out to the Harley dealer in Portland.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:28 PM
09hdrdr
6th Gear

hey let me know whatyou find out please i have a 2009 fatob ad i changed my grips & now my fuel pump wont come on & no spark, also checked my fuel pump fuse with ign. on had 0.05 volts all other fuses had around 11.50 volts. this is really bugging the hell out of me...! losing ride time ...

Old 05-17-2013, 11:50 AM
kwmiller
Stage IV

Same problem 09 ultra any luck

Old 09-17-2013, 06:03 PM
rkcmike63
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idrivemywifecrazy
It is the fuel pump sending unit. It is wired into the same bulkhead connector as the fuel pump and is located under the console. Now that you ask me that question Al, I have not checked to see if I have power there. I will make sure I check that before I head out to the Harley dealer in Portland.
What did you find to be the problem? I have the same issue.
Ride safe,
Mike

Old 09-17-2013, 06:18 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

take the power commander out of the equation. unplug it, plug your ECM back in and see what she does..

Quick Reply: No spark, no fuel pump priming