Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

02 RK Decel popping, engine vibration, high idle, no codes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:29 PM
C&S 75
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 02 RK Decel popping, engine vibration, high idle, no codes!

I'm still chasing the ghost that lives in my 02 Road King!! After spending about $3,000.00 and going to eight different shops for a year and a half I gave up and parked it. To save my sanity and marriage I put a cover over it and tried to not look at it for awhile.

It used to run fine and was very smooth during acceleration and at cruising speed. It has a Delphi efi system, Hooker slip-ons, and upgraded air filter. Don't know if it had a download from the original owner.

The problem is decel popping, high idle, and it vibrates excessively. There are no codes. Most of the mechanics don't hear or feel the problem, so they don't know what to look for. They tell me all Harleys pop and vibrate. I know how smooth it was. The difference is so extreme that I can't stand to ride it! It has lots of power and torque but needs a lot more throttle at cruising speed. The problem is constant whether engine is cold or hot.

The Dealer told me to rebuild the trans because metal fragments were getting on the speed sensor and messing with the computer. We did that, no change. We repaced the sensor and changed the intake exhaust gasket and then it ran fine. The problem came back after about 8 months. Changed the speed sensor and intake gasket, no luck this time. We put on a PC and did the Dyno. Changed motor mounts, plugs, wires, eng temp sensor, fuel tank hoses and fuel filter, injector seals, and a ridiculous amount of misc. parts that made no diffeerence. They have checked aqnd adjusted everything anyone can think of. We don't know if it is a problem with the computer, can't check that. EFI sensors, grounds, coil, battery, charging system, throttle body, ???????????

Having mechanics search and check things at $100 hr is not the answer. I don't know what to do!! Any help or ideas would be great!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:41 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the throttle body a two piece body held together with two screws? If so check that those screws haven't loosened up. Tighten them.

Here is another 2002 problem with an injector wire.

September 09, 2002
Front Injector Harness On Touring Models
You may encounter an intermittent hesitation and historic front injector code,
P0261, on Touring models. If so, the condition could be caused by broken wires in
the ignition harness very close to the injector. Since the insulation is not damaged
the break cannot be seen. Wiggle the harness to determine if the condition exists.
If you do find a broken wire, it is likely due to a mis-positioned tie wrap causing the
wires to the front injector to be pulled tight. The combination of insufficient slack
and engine movement can cause wire flex leading to the breakage. When you
repair the wire, be certain to allow slack in the ignition harness to prevent a
recurrence.

You can move the harness around by the injector plug and see if the engine stumbles when you do this. It will give you an indication of the problem if this is where you have a break in the wire.

Last edited by ajayrk; 06-21-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:25 AM
ga guy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ask morons for your money back?

Exhaust leak
bad spark plug wire
one coil is bad
intake vacuum leak
half clogged fuel injector
bad tuning
swiched sp plug wires(not sure about that)