Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

07 FXDB is running rich with SERT, anything I can do to correct it myself?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 01:53 PM
strikerdod
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 07 FXDB is running rich with SERT, anything I can do to correct it myself?

I bought my 07 FXDB new, and had the dealer install V&H slipons, and new AC with the Screamin Eagle Race Tuner and did a dyno tune. I've been riding it for two years, just got to 10,000 miles and checked the spark plugs, and they're nasty, the bike is running too rich. The dealer last did service a year ago at 3,000 miles, but they never said anything about the bike needing to be retuned. Combined MPG has always been around 37-40 at best, so I'm sure it's not running with an optimal tune.

Short story is the stealer wants $550+ to do another dyno tune. I'd rather remove the upgraded AC and put back the stock AC before I spend that kind of money for a job that wasn't done right to begin with. Can I use the SERT software to restore the stock tune? If not, can I swap the SERT for something like a powercommmander, or something else that is more user friendly?

Old 07-02-2010, 02:12 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by strikerdod
I bought my 07 FXDB new, and had the dealer install V&H slipons, and new AC with the Screamin Eagle Race Tuner and did a dyno tune. I've been riding it for two years, just got to 10,000 miles and checked the spark plugs, and they're nasty, the bike is running too rich. The dealer last did service a year ago at 3,000 miles, but they never said anything about the bike needing to be retuned. Combined MPG has always been around 37-40 at best, so I'm sure it's not running with an optimal tune.

Short story is the stealer wants $550+ to do another dyno tune. I'd rather remove the upgraded AC and put back the stock AC before I spend that kind of money for a job that wasn't done right to begin with. Can I use the SERT software to restore the stock tune? If not, can I swap the SERT for something like a powercommmander, or something else that is more user friendly?
You can use an SESTP to install a base calibration that is very close to what you currently have on the bike.

Does the bike run poorly, Are the plugs soot black?

Old 07-02-2010, 02:23 PM
strikerdod
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
You can use an SESTP to install a base calibration that is very close to what you currently have on the bike.

Does the bike run poorly, Are the plugs soot black?
Plugs are soot black, and the bike backfires every so often.

So I would need to purchase an Screamin Eagle Super Pro Tuner and install a new base map? I don't understand, because I have the SERT and the software/serial connector that it comes with. I just need to learn more about EFI tuning a harley. I don't want to spend $600 for another dyno tune, I'd rather attempt learning to correct the problem myself, even if that means switching to another fuel management system besides the SERT, but I need someone to recommend one. I don't care about getting the most HP at full open throttle, I just want the bike to run right and normal cruising speeds and idle.

Last edited by strikerdod; 07-02-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:34 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use your SERT software and vehicle interface box to load a stock or near stock map. It will blow away your dyno'd map, but that doesn't look like its working well enough for you anyway. I think SERT also has maps for the free flow AF.

Another alternative is to send the SERT interface box to mastertune.net and have them convert it to a TTS, I think for like $100. But if you don't like working with the SERT software then you probably won't like working with the TTS kit. TTS will have canned maps close to your bike's equipment.

If your plugs are so sooted up, wonder how your O2 sensors look. They don't like overly rich mixes. So, if they are lazy, you may need to spend another $60-$80 for replacement sensors. Still less money ($180) out of the pocket than a PCV, I think... and you set the bike up how you like (mpg, power).

Just something to think about.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:05 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by strikerdod
Plugs are soot black, and the bike backfires every so often.

So I would need to purchase an Screamin Eagle Super Pro Tuner and install a new base map? I don't understand, because I have the SERT and the software/serial connector that it comes with. I just need to learn more about EFI tuning a harley. I don't want to spend $600 for another dyno tune, I'd rather attempt learning to correct the problem myself, even if that means switching to another fuel management system besides the SERT, but I need someone to recommend one. I don't care about getting the most HP at full open throttle, I just want the bike to run right and normal cruising speeds and idle.
Has it always done this since the dyno?

I didn't mean to confuse you by saying SESTP. You most certainly can as ColdCase says load a base map that will be very close to your current setup on the bike using the SERT.

I also have his same concerns about the condition of your O2 sensors.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:47 PM
strikerdod
Intermediate

Thanks guys, I'm going to try to get acclimated with the SERT software tonight. It's not that I don't like working with it, I booted it up once out of curiousity, tried opening a map or two. I remember seeing alot of map files, and I wasn't able to determine which bike the individual maps were for, so I stopped exploring there.

But yeah, the bike has always acted like this since it was new, and I'm just getting on to it now because I saw how fouled up the spark plugs are. I'm also going to check the condition of the O2 sensors.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:57 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I think TTS will gives you a good deal on the upgrade, you may want to think about the tuning advantage its Vtune feature would provide you. You basically use it to dyno the bike yourself, very good street results. It also includes a feature rich data recording tool that you can use to look at your sensors to see what's going on in the bike. I think the SERT has something similar but perhaps not as feature rich.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:14 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ColdCase
Since I think TTS will gives you a good deal on the upgrade, you may want to think about the tuning advantage its Vtune feature would provide you. You basically use it to dyno the bike yourself, very good street results. It also includes a feature rich data recording tool that you can use to look at your sensors to see what's going on in the bike. I think the SERT has something similar but perhaps not as feature rich.
I agree with this 100%. Lots of good info on using the TTS software on this and other forums.

For now you could change the bias closed loop tables to 759 for the front cylinder and 739 for the rear. That's where mine is set and it runs very well right there. It's my understanding the bias tables control leaness/richness.

I'm sure you know the SERT was developed by the same guy (Steve Cole) who now sells the TTS Mastertune and is the same product except the TTS has many more advantages/bells/whistles.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 273 Likes on 172 Posts

Why not just find a capable tuner and have it mapped with the SERT? Did they give you a copy of the map?

Old 07-03-2010, 06:22 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you read the help section of the tuner program it will help you make the right moves with it. The first thing I would do is record a ride with various driving conditions and then upload it to the computer and look to see where it it rich. @nd option is to order a new cd from the dealer to upgrade your SERT and then use smarttune to set it up. It's like $30 for the cd

Quick Reply: 07 FXDB is running rich with SERT, anything I can do to correct it myself?