Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

bike just shuts off....

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:47 PM
KPotter
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bike just shuts off....

Hello All,

First time poster to the site. Decided to take the bike on vacation at Clear Lake this year and had no problems on the way up. It's a 2001 Road King with fuel injection. Hasn't given me a lick of trouble until now. We took it out Saturday and after about 1/2 hour it just shut off. Pulled the clutch in and coasted for a bit, hit the starter and it fired up and ran for a while and shut off again. It would do it every 10 to 20 minutes, but we were able to make it back to the mobile. Didn't want to take a chance on riding it home, so we will trailer it back next weekend. When it shuts off it's like someone turned of the key. Bam, and then starts right back up.
Thanks in advance for any help/ideas. I know these sites are a great tool when you need help.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:58 PM
tombeving
Road Master

Check your run/off switch. You may have a broken wire or pinched wire. If the wires are ok, I'd check the fuel filter next. Process of elimination.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:06 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Or the contact points in the ignition switch.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:10 PM
choptop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problems w/my'90 Fl w/127 Ultima. Mostly a problem when it got warm out, going down the road and would just stop, might start right up, might not, might go 100 yrd, a mile, the rest of the day. Ended up being the ignition module, when it got warm, it would break contact, when it cooled down all was ok till da next time.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your bike has the main circuit breaker under the seat and behind the rear cylinder I would replace that first with an inline fuse. See my post in the DIY forum for details.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:09 PM
95custmz
Road Master

A faulty crank position sensor could cause described symptoms.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:12 PM
KPotter
3rd Gear

Update. Got the bike home and ordered an ignition switch. The old one felt a little sloppy and kind of had that burnt electricl odor to it. Had to wait two weeks to get a switch that uses the same key. Replaced the switch and got it on the road. Cruising down 101 around 60 for twenty minutes and bam, shuts off. Pull the clutch in , hit the starter button and it fires right up. Crank position sensor? Ignition module? How do you trouble shoot it if it only happens once in a while on the road? Never while idling or driving a short distance.

The following users liked this post:
Peter Lefebvre (07-12-2018)
Old 08-02-2010, 07:21 AM
Ozzimandias
1st Gear

Well I am glad I am not alone with this problem. I got the same bike except police. mine is currently at a dealer 200 miles away. I was out on a road trip when mine went bad. the third time mine died it would not start back up and when I would turn on the ignition switch it would start giving tons of engine codes never the same so it was impossible to try and count the blinks had nothing to write them down with either. towed to the dealer they charge battery and fires right up. Me and the dealer have discovered that under a hard crack and release of throttle while riding will get it to shut down but still no idea why.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:36 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Ozzi, I have a 2000 Fatboy carb doing the same thing. It pulls fine running it up to redline, when I release the throttle to shift and snap the throttle back to full, my ignition cuts out. Yesterday I was sitting at an intersection and cracked the throttle to go and it just died. Let me know what you find.

The following users liked this post:
Peter Lefebvre (07-12-2018)
Old 08-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Ozzimandias
1st Gear

ttt..

Quick Reply: bike just shuts off....