Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax EFI and Loss of EITMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 04:58 AM
TCR5.9
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thundermax EFI and Loss of EITMS

I purchased the Zippers Thundermax system and not only can it not support the distance til empty feature, it also disables your EITMS system. I called Thundermax and they said w/ their tuning my bike won't run hot enough to need the back jug shut down; well in TX where I live I beg to differ. When I see oil temps in the mid 250s, I want the EITMS working. I can't say I'm real impressed with Zippers on this one, I will try a new update they've sent me, but I might be sending this thing to Ebay! The performance is ok at best, but if my bike is losing factory features, I'm not impressed.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:29 AM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't believe that it use the Knock sensor as well.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:30 AM
jimmie d wad
Tourer

doesnt that parade thing not turn on till like 280?doent get nearly as hot up here.so that doesnt bother me.i too am not real happy about losing my distance till empty option but hopfully they'll have that update done soon.not real impressed my mileage went down over10mpg.but then ive been riding in some heavey winds most of the summer.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:13 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with your sentiments about the performance . I have had to replace both o2 sensors this summer , and the performance is mediocre at best . I'm just really un happy with it .

Old 07-25-2010, 11:48 AM
jeffl0924
Road Master

What other modifications do you guys have done to your bikes....because if you are looking for performance, by just changing the ECM, youre really not going to get a noticeable difference. The biggest thing the TMAX does over stock is richen the fuel mixture to help cool the bike down, hence the loss of fuel mileage. Ive had the tmax for over 2 years, and i can tell you if you get the correct map in it, and let it get itself tuned, the mileage isnt that bad. it takes a GOOD 500 miles of riding fo it to get itself tuned. When it is first installed the mileage is terrible.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:36 PM
TCR5.9
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jeffl0924
What other modifications do you guys have done to your bikes....because if you are looking for performance, by just changing the ECM, youre really not going to get a noticeable difference. The biggest thing the TMAX does over stock is richen the fuel mixture to help cool the bike down, hence the loss of fuel mileage. Ive had the tmax for over 2 years, and i can tell you if you get the correct map in it, and let it get itself tuned, the mileage isnt that bad. it takes a GOOD 500 miles of riding fo it to get itself tuned. When it is first installed the mileage is terrible.
Mileage isn't a huge deal, but performance is; does it take long to see that improve? I have a huge dead spot in power off the line. I just hate that I've lost 2 key features when I paid about 4 times what other tuners cost.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:06 PM
jeffl0924
Road Master

Yes, it takes at least 500 miles for it to get right...the dead spot off idle, you should check your map, even before I put my cams in I didnt have a problem with that, you have throttle by wire, so that may be something in the adjustment for that. On mine I had to set the zero throttle position, I would imagine, that would be a very important step in a throttle by wire bike. again, if you dont have other mods done to your bike, you are not going to see a HUGE difference in performance. what exhaust and air cleaner are you running?

Old 07-25-2010, 03:10 PM
jeffl0924
Road Master

just saw exhaust etc in your sig, give it some time to tune itself. How long have you had it on the bike....if nothing else, use the send info feature in the software and send the info from the bike to zippers, and they will send you any changes you should make to the tune. It is a great product, only thing on the market that compares to it is the TTS .... if you havent done so already, get the cams HUGE difference

Old 07-25-2010, 04:13 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It kicks in at 300F at the head. Realistically if you're hiting high enough temps go into parade mode more than once in a blue moon you need an oil cooler. It only works if the throttle is closed. First phase is shutting down the rear cylindar. Second is drop the AFR. Third is fuel only every second cycle. Those other phases are only if you hit 300F and keep on rising despite the steps it's taken.

The TMax will allow you to adjust the fueling based upon temperatures, i.e. roughly what phase II adds to the mix. Shutting down the rear cylindar does nothing for the front one, it's just the hotter running one. Dumping fuel on the front cylindar will actually cool it though an expensive way to cool a bike. Skipping ignitions on the front cylindar will also cool it. The idea you're actually going anywhere with no throttle, running on one cylindar and that cylindar only firing every second cycle is rather laughable. Not unless you get off and push. It might actually die which presents an alternative, turn the bike until you're actually going to move.

Not to be a champion of Zippers, but in all fairness Harley has it's own problems. If you actually want to tune your bike then you need the SEST. The standalone unit records at half the speed it's suppose to and doesn't record the O2 sensors. I just installed the software on a Windows 7 machine and all I get is a message saying it "Nolan has stopped working." Who is Nolan? Oh, the company that wrote the software for Harley. When I first got the unit they mistook a millisecond for 1/100th of a second. That rather screwed with the numbers.

That's just screw ups. Why does my bike run on narrowband sensors? Because they are cheaper. The TMax is only a replacement in the sense it can replace the Delphi ECM and not in that it does exactly the same thing. It is a distinct and differant ECM. It's what Zippers says they would have done with all Harley's had it been their choice. They both control the fueling and timing just fine, but they have differant features. It is not a functional equivalent to a Delphi, it is not a generic ECM replacement, it's not marketed as one. If you want something that behaves just like a Delphi ECM then that's the Delphi ECM.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:31 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I have over 5000 miles with the TMAT . I haven't been happy with it yet . I'm about one more ride away from removing it and replacing it with one of the other big 3 tuners out there (TTS , SEST , PC ) . I really regret the purchase . I have several auto tune rides in on more than one map , and they all have performed the same . I'm really disgusted with the lack of performance . I know , and have talked to a local tuner who said "With the SEST , or TTS , and a custom tune I can guarantee you 20hp/20lbft increase over stock" . That's just with a stage one air filter , and a Thunderheader . I am 110% positive this T-Max is NOWHERE NEAR that !

Quick Reply: Thundermax EFI and Loss of EITMS