Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

What's the best option for fuel management

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:21 PM
inaroush
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using the V & H Fuelpak and have NO problem with it at all....

Easy install, quick program. ALL GOOD

Old 09-13-2010, 07:14 PM
OIF08Streetglide
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Dino M
However, he made this one thing very clear...
Running just a set of SuperTrapp SE slipons is fine without doing anything else to the bike. However, DO NOT put a breather kit on it without doing the SEST or some other form of fuel management because the bike will run WAY too lean.

For now, I like the way the bike runs and sounds (minus the decel popping), I might just run it like this and leave it.
Anyone else out there that has done this? Pros? Cons?
Depending on who you talk too, most will say you can one or the other but not both without changing the fuel. So he is right about the TOO LEAN part since you have both. I ran the PCIII for about 2 years and really liked it. Although I had some concerns with this system. First, it eliminates the O2 sensors so effectively it turns your sophisticated EFI into an electronic carburator that does not adjust to changing environmental conditions. Second, I changed the baffles and it completely changed the characteristics of the engine and spent a lot time through trial and error to get it close to the way it was but never really found that happy place. I have since changed to the TTS Master Tuner. I am FAR from an expert but this is a pretty simple system but you have to follow the instructions to the letter. There isn't a dyno near by so I opted for a system I could use and adjust myself. So far I am very happy with the way it sounds and runs. There is another option but it is very pricey and that is the Zippers Thundermax ($900 list) which replaces the entire ECM and uses their own Wide Band O2 sensors. Good system from what I have read, just couldn't see spending that much when the TTS is about half that.
Until you decide I would suggest putting the stock filter back on to prevent any damage from the TOO LEAN condition. This will keep the sound you like and may lessen the decel popping
Hope this helps and doesn't confuse.
http://www.mastertune.net/index.html

Last edited by OIF08Streetglide; 09-13-2010 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added link to web site.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Dino M
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Thanks Gents....
Just to be clear. I didn't put the breather kit on. I'm just running the SuperTrapps right now. I was in there to purchase the breather kit when we were talking. That's when he explained to not put it on without doing the SEST or some fuel management first.

I was looking at the Fuel Pak as well as the TTS and a couple others. The Ridemaxx looked cool too but I understand they're not in biz anymore. The guys at Fuel Moto seemed very cool too but I've had some reservations about the PCIII.

inaroush, did you notice any major difference in fuel economy with the Fuel Pak?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino M
...However, he made this one thing very clear...
Running just a set of SuperTrapp SE slipons is fine without doing anything else to the bike. However, DO NOT put a breather kit on it without doing the SEST or some other form of fuel management because the bike will run WAY too lean.
Way TOO lean? Says who? As compared to what?? Under what riding conditions???

It would be accurate to say that 14.1 is leaner then 14.0 but too lean? I guess that depends on one's position with respect to what is TOO lean.

This is a great example of why it's important to learn the HD EFI system yourself...just TOO much misinformation out there.

Good luck

Old 09-13-2010, 08:42 PM
lrays280z
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got my S&S gears/cams (510g) and Daytona Twin Tec fuel mgr (my indy recommended) about 10k miles ago, I only had Stage 1 too. I really noticed a great improvement in torque and throttle response. Since both were added at the same time, I'm not sure if my gains were the gears/cams, Daytona Twin Tec or both. They're simple plug in and around $200.00 on ebay. Here's a link of the one that I have on my 02 RKC. 43K miles now. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...Q5fAccessories