Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

09 Ultra Andrews 48h cams tuned

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Sounds like we have a new convert.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:51 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

what's holding me back from ordering is I do not know anything about the SEST upgrade thing. Is it even necessary to concern myself with? Or do I justbuy the TTS and cables and forget everything about the SESTP?

Old 11-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

You would be better off starting from scratch. Call Doc and get'r ordered.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:13 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

ok last question about this.. well til it comes in.. LOL

do I need both the serial and the USB cables?

Old 11-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

The dongle cable from the VCI (plastic box) to the bike is the same. Be smart and purchase the USB cable that TTS sells. Many guys try a generic and have no issues, it's the other ones that get the wrong USB to serial that worries me. Some just don't work right.

.... an no, it won't be your last question but once you get the hang of it after a trial or two you will see that it's a piece of cake.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 273 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
i sent Doc an email and am awaiting a response from him but wanted to ask you all also.

Apparently the files (maps) that my tuner gave me won't open on my computer or Doc's computers either. My tuner states he is running version 4 of the software and I was running version 1.xx so I went down to the dealer bought the new version and am still unable to open them. Called my tuner, he says he can open them fine. I'm tired of jacking around with this..

Should I scrap my investment and go with the TTS? The $$ is irrelavent at this point, it's a principal thing now. I feel that something is going on and he doesn't want to release the correct files to me.
Todd, I did get the files to open. Try saving them to a memory stick and then open from there. I agree with the TTS being a much more user friendly device to use than the SESPT but it is not the tuning device, but the "tuner" that is lacking here. I cannot tell if your bike was smarttuned or conventionally tuned, but looking at the afr table in the maps suggest smarttune. It is your rear cylinder that is causing the issue. Look at the attached graph of the ve table and you can see the area that is not right. The issue is caused by your exhaust. There is a trick to tuning this area that will smooth out the table. Not Doc's trick as that is just to eliminate the torque dip and remember to do that a little at a time. Another thing that bothers me is how the "tuner" set up the throttle progessivity table, it should not be maxxed out like this (second pic). I'll send you more in an email.

Attached Thumbnails 09 Ultra Andrews 48h cams tuned-ve-table-area-probably-causing-issue.jpg   09 Ultra Andrews 48h cams tuned-throttle-progessivity-wrong.jpg  

Last edited by Lonewolf176; 11-15-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:21 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Lonewolf176, you are correct. I was educated on the different tuning methods by Doc so yes it was a smarttune and I know this because the dyno my tuner was using, the braking function doesn't work right so it's disabled. So no load testing was done, and step-method of tuning was not done consequently either.

Also, when I went down to the local HD dealer I never use, apparently "I need the latest version of SE Pro Super Tuner" means ok I'll sell you the latest version we have on the shelf; it may not be the latest version software, but it's the latest we have on the shelf. It wasn't the correct version and I wasted $30 as they wouldn't take it back because it was opened. Now I know why I never use them but instead drive a little further out of my way to deal with the one that treats me right. So I was finally able to get them opened.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 11-18-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:58 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
Todd, I did get the files to open. Try saving them to a memory stick and then open from there. I agree with the TTS being a much more user friendly device to use than the SESPT but it is not the tuning device, but the "tuner" that is lacking here. I cannot tell if your bike was smarttuned or conventionally tuned, but looking at the afr table in the maps suggest smarttune. It is your rear cylinder that is causing the issue. Look at the attached graph of the ve table and you can see the area that is not right. The issue is caused by your exhaust. There is a trick to tuning this area that will smooth out the table. Not Doc's trick as that is just to eliminate the torque dip and remember to do that a little at a time. Another thing that bothers me is how the "tuner" set up the throttle progessivity table, it should not be maxxed out like this (second pic). I'll send you more in an email.

The throttle progressivity tables are maxed out to get rid of the "throttle lag" on the TBW bikes. Being maxed out won't hurt a thing, just makes the throttle response instant instead of delayed.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 273 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
The throttle progressivity tables are maxed out to get rid of the "throttle lag" on the TBW bikes. Being maxed out won't hurt a thing, just makes the throttle response instant instead of delayed.
I do increase them to "tighten up" the feel. I adjust them so I can have the throttle blade open 100% by 2500 at wot. I was taught and have found that too much will just make it too sensitive at lower tp's.

Last edited by Lonewolf176; 11-18-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:50 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
There is a trick to tuning this area that will smooth out the table. Not Doc's trick as that is just to eliminate the torque dip and remember to do that a little at a time.
Can you elaborate on this?

Quick Reply: 09 Ultra Andrews 48h cams tuned