Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2009 fxstc. Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 12:58 PM
sirjammer
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 fxstc. Wont start

2009 fxstc…OK I’ve got a problem that, so far, 3 dealer techs cant figure out. I was changing the oil in it, restarted to check for any leaks, next day I go to ride it and it doesn’t start, the fuel pump doesn’t come on and it doesn’t turn over. All the fuses are ok, I have a thunder max ecm, so I called them(there still scratching head) no help. I hooked up the stock ECM and ran a diagnostic on the speedo, ECM/ICM came back as no r sp, no codes on anything else. My lights & turn signals work, I have power to the ECM, it doesn’t have a security system. It finely stopped raining here in Ohio and the Harley gods decided to rain on me now! The guru down at the local bike shop told me to get a priest….I’m not laughing anymore.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:25 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you may have a wiring problem between the run/stop swtich on the bars to the ECM like it's not seeing it. The only way you may find it is to voltage drop all the ness wires that make it go. Chances are you have a poor connection or broken wire that allows trace voltage to pass (the ECM doesn't see the problem) but won't support a load. (when a load is presented it opens the circut)

Old 05-01-2011, 07:37 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree that the problem is electrical... My first guess is the ignition switch under the dash. The dash is not weather tight, yet so many guys never clean or service the contact points on the switches.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:11 PM
fairfax1000
Intermediate

Check the "system relay". That powers up the entire ecm and all the necessary sensors to make the fuel pump prime, and everything else come online. make sure your bike is in neutral and make sure you pull the clutch lever in. If your bike (might be) equipped with the clutch switch, if could be broken and not sending a signal to the ecm that it's in neutral. No security system?? didn't know you could get one without. When you turn on the switch, do the 4 ways flash?? Have you physically pulled the fuses and checked them?? Need all the info you can give to help fix it.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:31 AM
sirjammer
3rd Gear

Yes I’ve physically checked all the fuses, the 4 ways flash, bypassed the relays and the fuel pump comes on and the bike turns over, but wont start. Had the local bike shop guru over, he was thinking both ECM’s were fried, he put my stock one on his bike and it fired right up……..still thinking about getting a priest.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:19 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the bike is turning over but won''t fire you have a spark issue or a fuel delivery issue...your opening post specifically said that your fuel pump did not come on and that the engine would not turn over... NOW which is it? Maybe when you were checking the electrical components, you "jarred" one of them enough that it momentarily was working and now has reverted back to not working.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:25 AM
sirjammer
3rd Gear

The ignition switches under the dash is the second place I started looking(the fuses were the first). I’m walking away from it for a couple of days to try and regroup, hopefully I’ll find something I’m overlooking. This is something small and stupid….it always is. Thanks for all the great ideas!

Old 05-02-2011, 08:31 AM
sirjammer
3rd Gear

The fuel pump came on when I bypassed the relay and it turn over when I bypassed the other relay. No spark when bypassing them both. Coil is fine, tried it on another bike.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:50 AM
sirjammer
3rd Gear

So much for walking away from it for a bit, its not the run/stop switch….the bike is 1/3rd disassembled, looks like it has 10 lbs of spaghetti thrown on it.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:53 PM
sirjammer
3rd Gear

I would sincerely like to thank BLK and chrome, handy Howard and Fairfax 1000, for your interest and offering me some vary good advice. I found the problem….I need to get some mouse poison, the little critter chewed through part of the harness, and was sending me in two different directions….I think I still need a priest to stop all of this rain though. ride safe guys.

Quick Reply: 2009 fxstc. Wont start