Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

once in a while just goes dead

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 10:18 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default once in a while just goes dead

has happened 3x now , all when gas is a little low, have done a 2 1/2 " tank lift
never any troubles before, i did recently pulled left side gas cap off (not all the way) just enough to give a tad of rattle can,dont know if i stretched out somethin??(the float or whatever is connected to end of cap)

everytime it dies you hear the primer pump whining then it goes dead
1 more thing its died all 3x when turning left (co incidence???)

thanks mang

Old 05-08-2011, 07:50 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only time my bike has studdered from low gas it was turning right. The first thing I always check when having problems like this is the battery connections. Even if they seem tight, remove them and re connect. you may just have to start filling the tank a little soon then usual, 2.5" lift is pretty tall.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The left cap is just a guage and is connected to a wire that goes to the sender inside the tank, couldn't cause this. Maybe the pickup screen moved in the tank, must remember that with the tank lifted that much the cross over won't move fuel from one side to the other so if the pickup moved then it's picking up more from one side. May have to remove the pump assy from the tank to see whats going on

Old 05-08-2011, 01:54 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member

ok checked battery a very slight loose connections tightened up
sure as hec all the way to service and as soon as i turn in the lot goin left dies!
Ok after service all the way home(40min) sure as hec again turning left on my street dies!
Whats goin on?? after it dies though it will start right up no problem.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

Is this a turn by leaning or are you turning the forks? you could have a wire grounding out in the bars or in that harness.........maybe?

Old 05-08-2011, 04:42 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member

turning the forks,also i already i know i have a short in wiring,horn/lh turn sig,hi lo beam
from my ape bar install,(dam duetch connectors) but i have had apes on for 2 years and no such problem, new update**** went to start bike started up,reved up then died,then no primer nuthin,turned off then on nuthin,waited 5 minutes bam started right up,this sounds like a short, like blk/chrome is sayin whatta think?

if it is..., i am bigtime dreading this,i almost would pay to have someone fix,wiring is/was a HUGE PITA probably the worst thing bout handlebar swap

Old 05-08-2011, 04:53 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not knowing your year, I can tell you that there were issues with the electric fuel pump housing cracking, and something else to do with cracked line that interrupts the fuel flow.

Not sure but removing the fuel pump, which is the fuel outlet, you can take it out of the tank and inspect it.

There may even be debris collected on fuel filter and may be blocking the inlet.

But with electric issues the list gets longer.

Good luck tracing' it down!

Old 05-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

yep sounds like a short in the bars, it sucks you may luck out and its at the top and you can just slide the harness back up thru the top and fix it, a longshot for sure

Old 05-08-2011, 08:01 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member

im thinking at the bottom actually, as i can push wires in toward duetch and lh turn sig works, i also get horn with it, but the hi beam then goes a miss,PITA
oh but its a high class problem , what would cause a short on lh side of switch housing though to kill power?( i did check all fuses AOK)
horn? hi beam? lh turn sig? its weird i was really jamming wires out of handlebar squeezing em, movin em around and started bike 3-5 times no prob , when in nuetral moved handlebars left right left right & it stayed runnin just fine on the other hand before moving wires all around moving handlebars to the left when running almost everytime killed it instantly.
who in Illinois excels in wiring? have gun will travel , wonderin if i should order everything before hand, new novello extension kit, new harnesses for wires, etc. etc.

all in all though it really feels great to ride long winter in chicago this is a high class problem maybe i will call that dude from dyna section who builds motors n stuff he seems very knowledgeable ,i think him n powderpro joe did some work.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

most likely in the right side causing it to shut down from the stop swtich

Quick Reply: once in a while just goes dead