Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Click, Click, Click!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 01:54 AM
srob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Click, Click, Click!!!

I have a problem with this clicking also. I know this should be in the electrical forum, but there is another post on a similar problem here. I have followed the steps in the electrical forum for the clicking and charging 1 and 2. I keep coming up with 11.7volts on the voltage regulator pins going to the stator. If the steps are correct the regulator should be bad. The bike is not running during this test. The bike is under warranty still but I installed a SE Ignition Module quite a while back and the dealer says the warranty is void on the ignition section. Go figure. The stator checks good according to the steps in the procedure. When I did talk to the mechanic at the local Harley shop, he said the regulator should be showing voltage and it is not bad. This contradicts the procedure in the forum.
I did the whole procedure again tonight and come up with the same results. Voltage on the pins of the regulator wires going to the stator. This time when I disconnected the regulator from the stator, I tried to start it and it fired right up. Hooked up the connector and it would not start again. Disconnect and it fires up. Stator checks good according to the procedure, not shorted to ground and 1 to 3 ohms across the wires. When started the stator puts out about 19 volts at approx 1k rpm. As I increase the rpm the voltage goes up. Any ideas??????

Old 07-14-2005, 04:34 PM
srob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Click, Click, Click!!!

Just an update. The Dyna bikes do have voltage coming from the stator input side of the voltage regulator. While at the dealership, they told me they checked it three seperate times and there was no voltage at any time. I asked them to show me where they checked it at, which was the same place I did, when they checked it again with me there to watch, sure enough there was 11.5 volts on all three pins. Again they said it wasn't there earlier. After they changed the voltage regulator, the new on had the same 11.5 volts on all pins. We then went to the sales floor and checked a new Dyna. Same results, 11.5 volts on all pins. Then it was "Oh yeah, its supposed to be there". When I asked why they told me there was no voltage earlier, they had no reply. I think it's time for me to locate a new shop. If you can't trust what they are telling you???? They did say they rebuilt the starter solenoid, so the clicking should stop. I wish I could find the electrical schematics for the Dyna. Anybody know of a site??

Old 07-14-2005, 05:51 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Click, Click, Click!!!

Steve

There's an old saying that goes like this,"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with BS." I think the dealers must all believe in this.

Here 's some wiring schematics, don't know what year your bike is but these cover a bunch of years

https://www.hdforums.com/m_67443/tm.htm Which are all available in the do it yourself forums.