Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

battery went dead during parade

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:51 AM
danp2630
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery went dead during parade

I have a 2010 Ultra and was riding in a parade with my spots on and the flashers going. I also had my jacket liner plugged in about half way up on the temp setting. My question is, does the charging system not put out sufficient amperage to keep the battery charged and run all the factory lights and a small probably 3-5 amp draw from my jacket? I have seen hundreds of ultras in parades and have not heard of the battery going dead while it is running. ( It died in the middle of the parade and I had to push it off the side and get a jump.) The dealer says everything checks out fine, charging system and battery pass their tests.
Thanks!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by danp2630
...My question is, does the charging system not put out sufficient amperage to keep the battery charged and run all the factory lights and a small probably 3-5 amp draw from my jacket?
Generally no...at idle (or very low rpm's), the bike is running mostly off the battery.

As a side note, I've been told it takes about 15 or 20 minutes of normal-speed driving for a battery to recover from a single start cycle. So adding more demands to the charging system will usually over tax the battery.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:19 PM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should get a charging system monitor of some kind. I was worried about the charging system on my 2002 Road King (which has an even smaller alternator than your's), because of the higher wattage of my lights, heating jacket and gloves and heated seat. It is just an LED that turns on when the charging system isn't sufficient, so I turn things off at stoplights until the light goes out.

They don't appear to be in business any more. (Chargewatch)

It's the LED surrounded by chrome in the pic below. The other LED to the left of the left signal goes for the heat-troller ****.

Attached Thumbnails battery went dead during parade-rk_dash.jpg