Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

New Harley owner with artificial intelligence

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Texasfilly02
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Harley owner with artificial intelligence

Is anyone willing to explain what/ why and EFI/tuner/whatchamacallit is?

Just upgraded from a 2005 honda saber to the switchback.

The saber was my beginner bike (and by beginner I mean never even sat on a bike till I bought her)

Now that I fell in love with the switchback I am really looking forward to customizing her for me.

My only problem, as with many FLD owners, the after market parts can get a little tricky as there is no guarantee they will fit till you try.

Asked the guys at work, and I'm getting anwsers from just do the download to you need this and that but no one is willing to EXPLAIN what this and that actually is and what it does.

Is someone willing to explain to the poor blond?

Trying to work a deal for a set of pipes and since I am a women, I would like to call bullshit of needed so I don't spend the money if I don't need to.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:38 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

What are your questions

Old 08-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Texasfilly02
1st Gear

If your buying a new set of pipes other than an new air breather what do you need and what does it do?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:57 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Most people hold to the fact that if jt pipes no mods to ECM are needed. Bikes can adjust they say that if you do intake as well as pipes you need to do some type of remap or tune or fuel mod system. I ran pipes on mine for 6 mos. before. Did intake and new tuner and dyno

Old 08-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Texasfilly02
1st Gear

She needs a new air intake ( if by assuming intake means new air breather).

I feel the power but no umph and it feels like she is stopped up (hope that makes sense) but that could also be the cats that are making the flow stop or I just have to get use to the fact it's a Harley with power on the top end vs a Honda that has it at the bottom.

What does the tuner do?

I thought the dyno measured the air fuel ration which a tuner does?

Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 PM
wtb3886
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Texasfilly02If all you are trying to do is get a little more sound, you can change out the mufflers to get a little more rumble without having to do anything else, provided you don’t change the air filter to a more free flowing type, and only change the exhaust to a LITTLE more rumble for sound.What exhaust do you have on your bike now?What year is your bike?If your pipes are joined together and you want to go to true duals then this will require some type of power commander or TUNER, because your bikes computer is setup stock for what it has on it from the start and if you change to a more free flowing exhaust then you have to use a module (power commander of some sort) to adjust for the difference you have made to your bike.What exhaust are you looking to go to?

Old 08-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Texasfilly02
1st Gear

I ride a 2012 switchback and running 2 into 1 stock pipes.

I going to have to go either custom pipes or mod a set of v & h big radius on her as the aftermarket area is very very slim for the switchback right now.

Pipes are not the only reason I am asking,(granted being surrounded by the big sound and then you hear my little put put is extremely annoying)

I want the umph I got from my honda in the lower gears so I know more mods are needed for the engine but that's further down the line.

What I am asking is what does each of the parts (tuner power commander etc) do in relation to the bikes performance?

Old 08-14-2012, 10:04 PM
slvdout
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

so basicaly you just want to know what a tuner is and if you need one?

Old 08-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Texasfilly02
1st Gear

Originally Posted by slvdout
so basicaly you just want to know what a tuner is and if you need one?
YES!!! I am not a wrench monkey.

I was never around bikes when I was growing up and didn't even get into the bike scene till two years ago so I am completely lost when I hear tuner, cams, etc.

But I do want to be in a convo with someone and a) understand what they are talking about and b) apply it to my bike so that when I'm talking to the mechanic I can call bullshit if needed and c) I don't want to be some useless girl that just rides a bike and looks to others to fix it for her.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:12 PM
wtb3886
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why EFI Vehicles Need To Be Tuned

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/electrical-ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection/15408-why-efi-vehicles-need-to-be-tuned.html

Last edited by wtb3886; 08-15-2012 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Here you go

Quick Reply: New Harley owner with artificial intelligence