Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

leaving O2 sensors out for test ok?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Al buquerque
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaving O2 sensors out for test ok?

Couldn't find this on here with the search. It's kind'a weird.

Just got a 2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited. I've ripped off the stock headers and installed Vance Hines power duals. I have installed it all with the stock pipes just to check fitment. I"m still waiting on the PC-V tuner to come in the mail. The Auto Tune portion arrived yesterday and is sitting on my bench.

I removed (drilled out) the rear baffels for better sound on the OEM slip-ons. I think there will be enough back pressure with this combo??? If not I still have my old Rinehart slip-ons from my old bike I could use, or buy some matching V&H ovals. I also need to figure out where to place the O2 sensor bungs for the PC-V +Auto Tune system that I'm installing. That's gonna be a trick trying to find the right spot to get those gigantic 18mm monster sensors to fit somewhere. The old 11mm bungs on there will not work with the big guys.

Right now everything on the exhaust sytem is tightened down...but...my OEM 11mm O2 sensors are just hanging down below the bike and the O2 bungs are plugged.

I want to just start the bike and see how the new pipe combination sounds. If possible, I would like to at least take it around the block to get a good sound check before I continue the process. Naturally I will tie back and secure the original O2 sensors if I try to ride it.

Fuel mixture wise... I think the bike is tuned for sea level running from the factory. I live in Farmington, NM and we are about a mile high here, which should help richen up the super lean factory settings.

Do you think I would screw things up at all if I start or ride it this way????

Old 09-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Al buquerque
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess since nobody answered I assume I was too verbose. What I was trying to say:

Can I start the bike up with the stock oxygen sensors pulled out of the exhaust header and the bung holes plugged. The sensors are still plugged into the ECM but not in the exhaust stream.

Will I cause any problems with faults, etc?

Old 09-08-2012, 02:32 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Short answer NO. I ran my bub7 2:1 full system wothout O2's . For a little test even 5 or 10 miles won't hurt anything.