Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax ECM Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 03:31 PM
B18cx
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TOMMYBLAZIN
so no dyno needed with the Tmax?
Correct. Not needed.
BUT, if you spent some time on a dyno you could manage to squeeze a few more ponies out of it by tweeking the timing.
The gain there vs. the money spent on the dyno session dose'nt make sense.
The map T-Max has along with their support and auto tuning, gets its pretty damn close!!
I'm super happy with mine.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:11 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Consider this...
The dyno is an indispensable tool to use to tune for best performance and mileage.
It is also the absolute best tool to properly breakin a performance build. Provides all sensor outputs to monitor during breakin process rather than sending a rider out onto the highway to guess at temps and loading. Most riders are not experienced in proper breakin methods and just go out and ride hoping all's well.
The dyno is the best way to diagnose running issues during the first minutes of running a new build to preclude the bike from running any longer than necessary with a problem to identify and repair it/them.
The dyno is also he ONLY way to quantify the performance of a build. Sure you can tell if the bike runs without hiccuping or spitting but don't know if the o2 sensors are reporting properly so the system can be expected to tune itself.
Also having a properly tuned and broken in build will provide many miles of smiles rather than 'back to the shop...again to try to figure out why the bike runs really hot, or seems sluggish, or won't start and/or idle properly.
Outside of the above I agree there is no requirement to dyno a ThunderMax equipped bike.
I see the biggest challenge with t-max is getting the timing optimized since there is no tuning help for that.
Hope this opens the minds to the value of a dyno, not just to correct AFR, but a plethora of other valuable "tools in the box".
Bob

Old 01-29-2018, 11:44 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

So I just upgraded my cams, contacted T-Max and they suggested a map, didn't work.
I had saved my old map that was running fine and loaded it. Seems to run great and I can feel the cams. So Like suggested I am just going to let it do its thing. I can always play with the timing myself, and it will do the fuel.

I emailed T-Max looking for a local tuner, and another T-Max dealer locally. This is the response from both.

Case Ref: "1-56233" - Map Request

Barry, I am sorry that the 424 map did not work for you. I tell you what I would do if the bike is running good with the map you have been running and you are getting no pinging with it I would keep my money in my pocket and let the Thunder-Max tune the fueling. There is no need to have the bike dyno tuned if you have no pinging.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Barry,
We are capable of tuning your Thundermax for you. We do not have a Dyno, They are not required to tune a Thundermax except in the case of a big motor build. We have a ThunderMax Factory trained technician on site Monday - Friday.

Thank you

Old 01-29-2018, 02:05 PM
o0smitters0o
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RamseySpeed/ThunderMax

If you spent the money on the ThunderMax let it learn. Ride it, Autotune it, Ride It, Autotune it. A Dyno is the best way to have a motorcycle tuned by someone that knows what they are doing. That being said the shop that tunes your bike is going to have to be efficient with the TMax. Most shops aren't and have a tuner they prefer. Then you'll hope the guy that tunes it knows his ****. Just because a shop has a Dynometer doesn't mean anyone really knows the ins an outs and can get the most out of your engine. When you loaded the new map you started over. Your original tune was probably closer than starting over. I have a 117" motor and never had a problem. I thought I did at the beginning but I needed to get some riding in. If you need more info check out RamseySpeed.com. They specialize in TMax. You end up emailing your Data. They will read through and make adjustments and send it back. If you think your not getting everything out of your bike hit them up. The motors they are building are ****ing monsters all with a ThunderMax at the heart. Hit them up on Facebook or their website.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:55 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Oh trust me I know what you are talking about. I just emailed TM about a new base map suggestion for the cam swap, unfortunately it pinged real bad. So I reloaded my saved map that has several K on it and it is much better, pulls hard, acceleration is great so yes.... I'm riding it. I know the TM will adjust, just thought I might get the timing closer...but it seems fine.
Now if I can only stay on the seat when I yank the throttle...

Old 04-04-2018, 04:09 PM
Bikerdude106
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did this solve your problem?

[QUOTE=Boost;11908333]There seems to be a thread for all the other tuners out there so I figured I would start one for the Thundermax ECM. The hope is to facilitate information sharing in regards to tuning, tuning tips and tuning issues with the ECM.

I've used other tuners but was drawn to the Thundermax because of the auto tune capabilities and the fact that I don't have to set my AFR at 14.6 to operate in closed loop. Also, I'm always changing things on my bikes. It's nice not having to dyno or V-Tune after every change.. Needless to say, I'm a big fan, but there have been times where I wish I had a forum or easy access to a professional tuner to assist with issues.

I have two Softails, both of which have the Thundermax. One bike is mostly stock with the exception of the exhaust and air cleaner. There is a base map for the exact combination on that bike. I loaded the map and it runs perfect. No issues at all. I was amazed how fast the auto tune corrected the fuel flow to meet target AFRs.

My Night Train was a differet story. I put a Thundermax on the Night Train when I installed a Procharger, heads, cams and exhaust and I was not happy with the results. The bike ran great at WOT but it cruised horrible between 1700-3000 RPM at part throttle. There was decal pop as well as popping and surging under low load cruising . I played with the AFRs and easily got rid of the decal pop but after several weeks of adjustments could not cure the surging and popping while cruising. Eventually, I started to look beyond the AFRs and realized that the cam specs for the tune that I was provided by Procharger was way different than my cam.

I loaded a new map that had cam specs similar to my cam, added a little extra fuel at the WOT settings, pulled a little timing, and let the auto tune do its thing. I took the bike out for about two hours. I rode it easy at first and it ran much better with the new map. There was still some popping but the surging was gone. Then it was time to start grabbing some throttle. I started gradually increasing the RPM of my WOT runs until I eventually hit my rev limit. I did several 6th gear pulls to allow the ECM more time at each RPM range to make adjustments. Again, it is amazing how fast the auto tune corrected the fuel flow. Even with a tune that was not developed for a boosted application. After one ride, the bike ran just as good at WOT as before. I compared the new tunes learned fuel offsets to the Procharger supplied tune and they were almost identical. However, when I compared the timing of the two tunes they were drastically different at part throttle. I'm almost 100% sure that the timing was the root of my drivability issues.

I have addend additional timing to the affected RPM range. This helped but I still have not been able to completely cure popping. I currently have the advanced set to 36 degrees at part throttle between 2000-3200 rpm.

Did the Timing change solve you driveability ? Did you make any other changes ?

Old 06-13-2018, 09:43 PM
tcazes
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I got In my tmaxc today and installed it pretty darn quick on my 09 fxdb. Did my power cycles and it fired right up. Did two short 15 mile trips before I realised I needed a 25m minimum continuous trip before it would show the auto tune graph. Well each time I stopped I ran the auto une map and it got smoother and smoother. I can' wait to see what the adjustment map looks like after my hour long commute to work in the morning!

quick question, before I installed it my gas guage read pretty darn accurate. Now, with 35 miles on the tank, it' already down to half and it didn' quite peg full when I filled up before this tuning session today. What gives. Can I calibrate the fuel gauge with the tmax?

Old 06-14-2018, 10:01 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by tcazes
quick question, before I installed it my gas guage read pretty darn accurate. Now, with 35 miles on the tank, it' already down to half and it didn' quite peg full when I filled up before this tuning session today. What gives. Can I calibrate the fuel gauge with the tmax?
Just run it.. New Tmax ECU needs to learn the mileage. Use the trip meter for fueling..

Old 06-15-2018, 06:24 AM
tcazes
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

10 4!

Old 06-15-2018, 06:41 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tcazes
I got In my tmaxc today and installed it pretty darn quick on my 09 fxdb. Did my power cycles and it fired right up. Did two short 15 mile trips before I realised I needed a 25m minimum continuous trip before it would show the auto tune graph. Well each time I stopped I ran the auto une map and it got smoother and smoother. I can' wait to see what the adjustment map looks like after my hour long commute to work in the morning!

Also you may have to recalibrate the speedo in the basic settings. The number used is generic to your model and not always spot on.

Quick Reply: Thundermax ECM Thread