Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

First Harley starter problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Hoosier bird
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Harley starter problem.

Just got my Harley home today. 1998 Heritage Softail Classic. 20,000 miles. Beautiful bike looks brand new. Started when I went and looked at it but after I got it home starter just spins and doesn't engage. I hauled it home on an open trailer in 3 degree Fahrenheit weather. I've got it on a tender now but doesn't seem to be low. Haven't had time to check it and my service manual isn't here yet. I was hoping you guys could help me out so I could sleep tonight. LOL. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Hoosier bird
Intermediate
Talking

I get it. I'm the newbie and you guys don't want me to sleep.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:15 PM
kykevinsmevin
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't sweat it. Let it warm up over nite and get some sleep. Give it time and there will be more-and better-responses tommorrow. P.S. Congrats on the new bike, it will all work out in time.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,540 Likes on 4,637 Posts

Congratulations on the new bike!

Ok, fun`s over...

Disconnect the battery.

Remove the outer primary cover and check to see if the starter jackshaft bolt is secure.

If you don`t find a loose or broken jackshaft bolt (the bolt will most likely be fine), you can be pretty sure the problem is a failed starter clutch.

You will have to remove the starter to change the starter clutch. It is a pretty straight forward job.

The worst part of the job is removing the oil tank so you can access the starter. Remove the inner fender and you will get much easier access to the back of the oil tank and the hoses.

To remove the starter, you will remove the starter jackshaft bolt, the two mount bolts, and the electrical connections.

Once the starter is removed, take off the drive end of the starter motor, and you will find the starter clutch.

You can get a good aftermarket part from All *****, or an OEM part from the dealer.

While you have the starter out, I recommend you rebuild the starter solenoid. You don`t have to buy starter parts from the dealer, you can get the parts from any starter shop, and you will save some bucks.

These starters are common automotive units, any starter shop will be familiar with them in case you don`t want to tear into it.

Also, while the outer primary cover is off, go ahead and check the primary chain tension, and adjust if necessary.

All this will be covered by the service manual.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 02-12-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:10 AM
Hoosier bird
Intermediate

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'll keep you posted and post pics too. May be about a week. Again, thanks.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:43 PM
Hoosier bird
Intermediate

Pulled the primary cover and the jack shaft bolt was fine. Pulled the starter and replaced the starter clutch and rebuilt the solenoid. Works like a champ now. I'll get everything buttoned up tomorrow and hopefully go for a test spin.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:03 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,540 Likes on 4,637 Posts

Thanks for the follow up.
Did you use OEM parts, or aftermarket?

Old 02-19-2014, 06:37 PM
Hoosier bird
Intermediate

All ***** on the clutch and Drag Specialties on the solenoid kit. About $90 for all parts. That includes shipping.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:12 PM
Hoosier bird
Intermediate
Old 02-19-2014, 07:16 PM
Hoosier bird
Intermediate

Quick Reply: First Harley starter problem.