Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2002 Road King runs only on starting fluid HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 10:18 PM
nickgyver
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Road King runs only on starting fluid HELP!!

Hey guys, needing some help before a roll this thing off a cliff! My road king isn't getting any fuel. fuel pump is working. You can hear it prime and also the pump is running while cranking. It will start right up with starting fluid but after the fluid burns off it dies. I'm lucky enough to have another perfectly good running 02 king to swap parts off of to try to narrow down what broke. What i have swapped out so far is gas tank with hose, ecm and tsm(the two were never unmarried), all relays, replaced all fuses. If I plug in my noid light to the injector plug on my broken bike and crank it, the noid light pulses dim. But if I crank it on my good bike the light pulses bright. At that point is when I swapped out the ecm and tsm. Just a side note........ The ecm and tsm from the broke bike work fine in the good bike. What the hell is going on!!!!

Last edited by nickgyver; 03-26-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:44 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Since we have no prior history, can not see or touch we know...
You state :
"My road king isn't getting any fuel. fuel pump is working. You can hear it prime and also the pump is running while cranking."
You do not mention if the pump is squirting fuel..making noise just indicates that motor in pump is functional but does not confirm movement of fuel.
Is there suction? is there something coming out of pump?
Did you perform a fuel pressure check ? did you check to see if it shoots fuel out of line?
What is the ignition situation? original factory? does the bike have a piggy back fueler like power commander, revtech DFO?
Is there any history available? came out of a lake? rebuilt title? engine modifications? miles?
Your noid light seems to indicate a week injector pulse...how is the CRANK position sensor? is it loose? wire cut? did someone remove/damage or miss-install it near oil filter? is the wire good all the way back to were it is born...Look at oil filter area , remove sensor (1 screw i think), clean and install...was it coated with garbage?

Old 03-26-2014, 11:00 PM
nickgyver
3rd Gear

Thanks for the reply. The bike is bone stock with no mods. Was running fine then just quit. I swapped out the tank and line from my other bike and no change. the tank from broke bike works fine on good bike. No junk on the crank sensor. Does the crank sensor control pulses at the injectors?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:08 PM
nickgyver
3rd Gear

got a new crank sensor from the dealer. Still no start.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:59 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by nickgyver
got a new crank sensor from the dealer. Still no start.
Unfortunate that you replaced a possible good sensor after observing it was clean but hopefully it was not too expensive.
Since you have mentioned that the pump is good, the internal and external fuel lines are good BUT that the bike runs with Starter fluid then lets look at fuel delivery issue again.
Possible fuel delivery issue past the tank and fuel lines.
The next thing would be either a wire to the injectors is damaged/ loose. The noid light along with a detailed shake and wiggle of every wire would probably be indicated.
Are you sure that all wires to the injectors are perfect? no breaks or odd bends?
Some time between 1999 and 2001 there was an issue of the injector wires being too short causing them to break under constant vibration. Wires were tight against frame but vibration between frame and motor caused break.The break occurred very close to the injectors but was inside the insulation..Caused intermittent contact...use your noid light...buy nothing.
I would imagine that you have search for fault codes already.

Last edited by im; 03-28-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:35 PM
nickgyver
3rd Gear

checked with a daytona twin scan II, no codes. Checked all injector wires with a dvom meter. No problems there either. Like i said, was running fine then just quit. Now both injectors are pulsing dim. There is one wire that runs from relay to each injector and then to coil (yellow with a green stripe i believe) That wire has voltage while cranking (10.2 volts same voltage while cranking on good bike) The other injector wires come from the ecm. those are pulse wires. They are good with no breaks( i know that because i ran new ones). I know it is not the ecm because i already swapped out the ecm and tsm from good bike.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:20 PM
nickgyver
3rd Gear

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 03-29-2014, 07:27 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would look from tank to injector tips for a fuel delivery problem

Last edited by Wild Card; 03-29-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:29 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't ever use ether to start a gasoline motor.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:04 PM
nickgyver
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Wild Card
I would look from tank to injector tips for a fuel delivery problem
I swapped out the tank and line from my other bike and no change. the tank from broke bike works fine on good bike. If I plug in my noid light to the injector plug on my broken bike and crank it, the noid light pulses dim. But if I crank it on my good bike the light pulses bright. Why is it pulsing dim

Quick Reply: 2002 Road King runs only on starting fluid HELP!!