Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Powervision, Autotune, closed loop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Stych
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Powervision, Autotune, closed loop?

Ok, sorry if this seems confusing, but I'm a bit confused, so it's hard to help. First, I'll freely admit that I haven't read the 400+pages in the PV sticky, although I have spent some time with the search feature. I've got an '06 Dyna that I just put together, and got a base tune from DJ that runs pretty good. However, it won't auto tune. All I get is the NBF:0 & NBR:0 messages. The Closed Loop parameter is set to "0", and the CL temps are set all the way down. If I set the CL parameter to "1", the engine sputters and dies right after it starts up. When I raised the min temp of the CL, it dies as soon as it reaches that temp. For reference, I loaded the original tune that was on it, and it auto tuned fine. I checked the VE in real time based on the gauge in data logging, and the front cylinder read much lower than the rear (like ~50% vs. ~80%). Not sure if that's relevant or not, but it seems like maybe it's cutting fuel to the front cylinder to correct the AFR.

I'm OK with how it runs now, but I think I could do somewhat better if I could get it to auto tune with map provided from DJ. Any help in that direction is much appreciated. Thanks, and have a great day.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:07 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Stych
Ok, sorry if this seems confusing, but I'm a bit confused, so it's hard to help. First, I'll freely admit that I haven't read the 400+pages in the PV sticky, although I have spent some time with the search feature. I've got an '06 Dyna that I just put together, and got a base tune from DJ that runs pretty good. However, it won't auto tune. All I get is the NBF:0 & NBR:0 messages. The Closed Loop parameter is set to "0", and the CL temps are set all the way down. If I set the CL parameter to "1", the engine sputters and dies right after it starts up. When I raised the min temp of the CL, it dies as soon as it reaches that temp. For reference, I loaded the original tune that was on it, and it auto tuned fine. I checked the VE in real time based on the gauge in data logging, and the front cylinder read much lower than the rear (like ~50% vs. ~80%). Not sure if that's relevant or not, but it seems like maybe it's cutting fuel to the front cylinder to correct the AFR.

I'm OK with how it runs now, but I think I could do somewhat better if I could get it to auto tune with map provided from DJ. Any help in that direction is much appreciated. Thanks, and have a great day.
NBF:0
NBR:0
This indicates that both front and rear narrowband 02 sensors are open loop.
Not sure why you are messing with CL temps, but the engine needs to be warmed up before you start data logging to get valid results. Return the CL temps to their normal positions.

You need to enable closed loop for autotune to function. CL=1

It's not unusual for VE's to be different in the front and rear cylinders.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Stych
Cruiser

Hi, thanks for the reply. I was changing the temps because that was one of the differences between the original file (that auto tuned), and the DJ file that didn't. It also seemed to verify that the engine won't run (or at least idle) when it goes into CL operation, at least with the DJ tune.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:09 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Stych
Hi, thanks for the reply. I was changing the temps because that was one of the differences between the original file (that auto tuned), and the DJ file that didn't. It also seemed to verify that the engine won't run (or at least idle) when it goes into CL operation, at least with the DJ tune.
Something's not right with the Dynojet tune. It must be an open loop only tune. Work with the original tune and run some autotunes. The bike should continue to get smoother and run better as the VE's get sorted out.

Don't know the specifics of the Dynojet tune, but only the 06 Dyna has O2 sensors and is capeable of running closed loop. All other 06 bikes have to run open loop (no O2 sensors).

Old 05-22-2014, 08:06 AM
Stych
Cruiser

Yeah, the '06 Dyna is a bit of an oddball at first. I cut and pasted the spark, VE, and AFR tables from the DJ tune into the original and ran several auto tunes, and then pasted the resulting VE tables back into the DJ tune, so it runs pretty well. There are quite a few parameters in the DJ tune that don't exist in the original, but I haven't started playing with that part yet. I'm going to send the files to DJ today, and see what they think. Thanks again

Old 05-22-2014, 08:18 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

After cut/pasteing the VE , AFR and Spark from DJ's calibration to your original you could just keep that tune and continue to AT from that point. Also hook up your PV to the computer and run update client,then update tune w powervision for the latest features you may not have access to yet.Main thing is get the VE's dials in, you'll only need to read the last 200 or so pages in the PV thread as well as the manual.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Stych
Cruiser

Thanks Smokey, that's pretty much where I am now. I'm just now approaching the end of the break in period, so I'll be filling in the fun parts of the VE table shortly... Perhaps when the weather gets bad here, I'll get to those 200 pages or so, LOL!