Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Full exhaust and AC. Vieds and download?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Fblo1690
Road Master
Received 107 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Full exhaust and AC. Vieds and download?

Hello all. New to forum. Picked up a 2011 streetglide w 103" couple weeks ago. Got a full set of vance n hines off craigslist for good price. Installed them and noticed bike runs hotter. Im getting a stage 1 intake tomorrow and have a set of nightriders vieds on the way. My question is should i get the stage 1 download to bring back to factory lean specs with the exhaust and ac. Then add vieds to add fuel? Or will the vieds be enough? I have no major mods planned so do not want a tuner right now. Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:27 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Fblo1690
...Any help is appreciated.
Welcome to the forum.

You would do well to NOT install anything until you get a good understanding of what the HD EFI system is all about.

It will also be beneficial to learn more about each of the components you mentioned, what they do (and just as important what they DON'T do), and how each change plays a part in the bike's overall running.

You will most likely get replies about how wonderful the download is, how much cooler those little "trick" devices will make your motor run, and how much more hp & tq you'll get from all those parts. Seriously question the accuracy of any such statements.

What they won't tell you...you'll probably get worse mileage, begin to have starting/idling issues, decel popping, surging, and a few other "minor" problems.

Remember, the sellers have a vested interest in painting only the best picture...there's a reason so much of this stuff ends up in the "For Sale" sections of forums and web sites.

Buyer beware!

Last edited by Pine Tree; 06-09-2014 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:16 AM
martin1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fblo1690
Hello all. New to forum. Picked up a 2011 streetglide w 103" couple weeks ago. Got a full set of vance n hines off craigslist for good price. Installed them and noticed bike runs hotter. Im getting a stage 1 intake tomorrow and have a set of nightriders vieds on the way. My question is should i get the stage 1 download to bring back to factory lean specs with the exhaust and ac. Then add vieds to add fuel? Or will the vieds be enough? I have no major mods planned so do not want a tuner right now. Any help is appreciated.
I did both the XiED's and the download. The bike runs perfect for me in every way. I added the stage 1 download to mine after a few hundred miles with just the XiED's and I can tell you that it did make a slight but noticeable difference to my bike. Some people say the download is a waste of money. Some are happy with it. I am one of those that are happy with it. Only you can decide what is best for you. God knows there are a lot of options.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:56 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If you don't want a tuning device, keep the stock mufflers. Pretty plain and simple.

Here is a saying... "You only know what you know". What that means is folks with one bike have no clue on what to base their opinions on.

You will be changing how much fuel moves through the engine by changing mufflers. Besides for adding varying amounts of fuel, one should address timing, too. Too little timing can make a ton of heat.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 06-09-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

I used the vieds at one time, they worked as advertised, no problems. So if you get the download and the vieds you are pretty close to the price of a tuner. What if your bike pings or surges, you have no way to fix it. What if you decide to upgrade the cams, you have to get a tuner anyways. Before you install the goodies, think about the future. TTS, PV are both good. I read that the mothership may drop the race tuner do to EPA pressure, so consider that also. If you are going to get it tuned find a tuner and see what they use and are comfortable with. I had a bad experience having a dealer do my tune when they installed the cams, lesson learned. If you do it yourself, there is a tremendous amount of info on this forum, with good help from the members.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:48 AM
martin1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wmitz
I used the vieds at one time, they worked as advertised, no problems. So if you get the download and the vieds you are pretty close to the price of a tuner. What if your bike pings or surges, you have no way to fix it. What if you decide to upgrade the cams, you have to get a tuner anyways.
That is a good point. In my case if I had to pay for the stage 1 download I doubt I would have done it. I used a gift card to pay for it and I went this route to preserve the warranty on a new bike. It worked out fine for me and I am happy with the results. Everyone might not be as lucky.