In Memory Of... Post a thread in memorial of a loved one. Pictures and thoughts are welcome.

My Grandfather "Papa"

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 09:59 AM
shawn e.
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Grandfather "Papa"

Arleigh N. 'Murf' Murphy
Arleigh Noah "Murf" Murphy, 91, of Grants Pass died Tuesday, April 8, 2008, at Royale Gardens Health and Rehabilitation Center.
Family services will be held. Hull & Hull Funeral Directors is in charge of arrangements. Contributions may be made to Lovejoy Hospice, 939 S.E. Eighth St., Grants Pass, OR 97526.
He was born March 27, 1917, in Enterprise to Raymond R. Murphy and Anna May Cairnes Murphy. He grew up on the family ranch on Brush Creek in Crawfordsville and graduated from Sweet Home Union High School. He rode a horse to grade school and a Harley-Davidson to high school.
After high school, he worked two seasons on the highway construction crew building the South Santiam Highway, clearing the roadway, running jack hammer on the powder crew and putting in culverts and water drains.
During World War II, he worked as a rigger at the shipyards in Bremerton, Wash. On May 6, 1947, in Eugene, he married Margaret Anne "Peggy" Berry, who died Aug. 25, 1978. On Nov. 27, 1982, in Roseburg, he married Betty Brady, who survives.
For most of his life, he worked in the woods around Glendale. He worked for Robert Dollar and lived at "Dollar Camp" on Cow Creek. He later bought a farm on Quines Creek, where he raised his children. In later years, he worked in Alaska at a logging camp.
He was a member of the Olympia Bonsai Club in Washington for 10 years. He also was a member of several square dance clubs in Grants Pass.
He enjoyed hunting, fishing, woodworking, farming, working the land and reading Louis L'Amour novels. He especially enjoyed his family.
In addition to his wife, survivors include a daughter, Arlene Henry of Lakeview; four sons, Jeff Murphy of Holley, Mike Murphy of Azalea, Chris Murphy of Grants Pass, and Rick Brady of Azalea; seven grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.[/align]

Old 04-13-2008, 07:01 PM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: My Grandfather "Papa"

Shawn,

My condlences to you and your family. Your Papa sounds like he was a great guy. I have very fond memories of my grandpa and still miss him to this day. My prayers are with you brother

Virgil :}{: