In Memory Of... Post a thread in memorial of a loved one. Pictures and thoughts are welcome.

Corporal Dyke (A. J.) Coursen

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 06:37 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Corporal Dyke (A. J.) Coursen

Corporal Dyke (A. J.) Coursen
Beaufort County Sheriff's Department South Carolina
End of Watch: Tuesday, January 8, 2002
Badge Number: Alpha 35

I worked with AJ in Ohio before he decided he needed a warmer climate. He was a Police Captain and Fire Chief at the same time in LaGrange, Ohio. He and his partner were both shot and killed.

Corporal "A.J." Coursen and Lance Corporal Dana Tate were shot and killed by a self appointed muslim cleric after responding to a domestic disturbance call on Riley Road, in Burton, S.C., at approximately 1600 hours.

A female called the sheriff's office and complained that she and her young child being held against their will by her boyfriend. While the deputies were investigating, they were shot by the boyfriend, who was armed with a semi-automatic SKS rifle and was hiding in a bedroom closet.

Deputy Coursen was killed instantly. Deputy Tate was able to shoot and wound the suspect before he died. The suspect was later taken into custody after a search. The man was sentenced to death in 2003.

See the memorial at the Officer Down Memorial Page:
http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=15903

Old 05-02-2006, 02:52 PM
jrb384
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Corporal Dyke (A. J.) Coursen

Judging by the responses, or lack there of I guess LEO's aren't to popular. So I'll sound off, I serverd my county in the USMC, as did my father, and his father before him ect ect.

I serve my community proudly in Law Enforcement, I have never met better people in my journey through life, people with the "true grit" to stand for what they believe in, people who reach down and grab their furry sacks and stand up for whats right and lay it all on the line, so that we, can live in peace and persue our passions free.

Thank you for your sacrifice

American by birth,
US Marine by choice,
Harley rider by the grace of God!

Deputy James Barnes

Old 05-06-2006, 11:32 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Default RE: Corporal Dyke (A. J.) Coursen

Sorry for your loss, nobody needs to go out that way, no matter who they are.