Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

My First Motorcycle (and is a Sporty......)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 12:23 PM
MyFirstHarley
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Motorcycle (and is a Sporty......)

I am switching over tho this forum since it is more geared towards my new ride.

I have coppied some of my first notes and a photo of this bike just to let you all know how I got my first bike and where I am in the process of getting things going...

How did I get it...

Well it all started ab out 7 years ago. My wife was tired of me talking about kite surfing all the time so she bought me a complete setup to hit the beach with. ($900) I used the heck out of that ger for about 2 years until I just stopped going to the beach. Work kept me away mostly I guess.

That gear sat in my garage for almost 2 years (keep track now.. we are up to 4 years on $900). I saw an ad for a commercial hot water pressure washer mounted on a nice trailer. I made an attempt on a whym to trade my kite gear that I was no longer using for it and the lady took me up on the deal. Blew me away.

I ended up not liking the pressure washer business (working it on the side and maintenance nightmare....) So that sat for another 3 years. So 7 years later (this month) I have a pressure washer that I was going to try and barter for a Honda Rebel or something small to learn with. No crotch rockets for me. Low and behold a guy calls me up and tells me he had a 125 dirtbike that runs but has no kickstart lever and a Old Harley.

Now I was thinking like everyone else would have... How bad are these things. Well he showed up witha clear title and matching numbers and the picture I posted on here is before I started cleaning the bike up.

I guess I paid about $125 a year or so for 7 years to get this Harley. Oh and I kept the nice $1000 trailer too.

Such an unexpected event that I havent even got the money to pay for my motorcycle safety course or register it even.

It will come though.

As my screen name states - I just got my first Harley.. (heck its my first bike ever) I am not ready to ride it, however I want to start taking care of it. I know that the rocker box seals are needing to be replaced. However I can not find the parts to do that. Any help there would be much appreciated. I am even willing to make my own gaskets if needed.

My main question here is this... I want to change the oil, plugs, etc and do an initial tuneup on my Harley... What should be done and what type of products (like 10W40 oil...) should I be choosing to buy? I am also not sure of the fluid requirements on thsi bike. As I said I am a complete greenhorn at this.

Thank you for your help in advance. I hope I am able to provide help your way one day in return...

Old 01-28-2008, 08:14 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: My First Motorcycle (and is a Sporty......)

Your Sportster appears to be a 1974 or newer model, just looking at the photo. Maybe I missed you saying the year. What does the title say it is?

You can get rocker gaskets at a Harley dealer or order them from J&P Cycle Supply, or any number of
other places. If you are planning to do any work on the machine that requires dis-assembly get yourself a factory repair manual before you even loosen one screw.

There are some tricky things involved with the ironhead that you need to know before you take it apart. For instance, if you want to remove the rear rocker box you must remove it along with the rear head as a unit. There is not enough frame tube clearance to allow the rocker to come off by itself. The reinstall has to be done just like it came off, as a unit. You need the procedure for adjusting the tappets, torquing down the head, yada, yada, yada. Get a manual first. Somebody here on the forum can answer any questions you may have........pg

Old 01-28-2008, 01:12 PM
MyFirstHarley
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info.. She is a 77 according to the title.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:50 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 640 Likes on 228 Posts

You can get just about any part you need from an HD dealer or the aftermarket. That's the advantage to owning a Harley. Like piniongear said, the first thing I'd buy isthe HD shop manual, and second is the HD parts manual. As far as oil goes, I use 20w50 in cold weather and a mix of 20w50 and 50 or 60 weight oil in the summer. Most will say that 10w40 is too thin for an Ironhead (some will even say that 20w50 is too thin.... but just try starting one in 40 degree weather with a tank full of 60 weight...).

Good luck with the bike.