Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

fitting of piston pins/ bushings

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 05:31 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

i didnt look close eneogh at them before.i was only concerned with the fit.i just realized theres a cut out in the bushing that gets aligned with the rods so oil can get to the wrist pin.the front one was loose and who knows how many times it turns until fate aligned the holes.the other was tight but it had spun and the holes were not aligned.----niether one of these pistons came out easy.i had to get creative with some allthread.--getting oversized bushings tomorrow.guess i will be honing out a hole .......

Old 09-10-2008, 06:03 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by straydog13
ok.i guess i need new bushings.i am going to start putting it back together asap.i would like to say i will have no more questions regarding this endeavor but i am pretty sure you wouldnt beleive me.--thanks.

i guess if put a little more thought into it i would have realized the whole point of the bushing is to keep it from wearing away at the rod.----i guess i just wanted to beleive it was good ...
Yes, the bushing is a tight press fit into the rod. This bushing must not move.
The wrist pin slides through the bushing and piston skirt. Circlips hold the pin in place. Most of the rotation is the piston pin moving inside the bushing. This is how a Sportster is set up.
A Chevrolet for example has the pin pressed tight into the piston and the pin slides through the rod bushing. Same result, just another way of doing it. Again, the Chevy has the bushing tight in the rod also.
pg