Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

I-RUN head!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:38 AM
calabeast
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy7394
Instead of adding a hardtail, I'd leave the struts.. You never see em anymore.. Nice change..

Plus as time passes & you ever want some rear suspension, a set of short shocks could be installed quick as a pit-stop..
Good point buddy! I would have to make some tubular struts if I do plan on trying them out for a while. The square stock doesn't look right from the rear of the bike. I haven't ridden this thing yet and before I make any big (expensive) decisions I have to wait until all of this cold (currently -15) weather turns around.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:37 PM
SilkMoneyLove
Intermediate

Good job. Hang tight brother Wisconsinite, it will only be about 60 more days until we can ride again...

Old 01-19-2009, 09:24 PM
calabeast
Advanced

I hope your right..these dog days of winter are always the worst part of the year for me. I think I can make it 60 more days..I might be waiting that long to get my title anyways.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:46 PM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by calabeast
Good point buddy! I would have to make some tubular struts if I do plan on trying them out for a while. The square stock doesn't look right from the rear of the bike. I haven't ridden this thing yet and before I make any big (expensive) decisions I have to wait until all of this cold (currently -15) weather turns around.
If temp goes around 0F it's just matter of what you wear :-)
Here is pic of my friends bike ( sorry about this is EVO ) here isn't so much snow...

Old 01-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Buddy7394
Tourer
Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

I dig the knobbies !!!!

Thru rain, sleet or snow.... never-mind

Old 01-20-2009, 12:26 PM
calabeast
Advanced

I like the enduro conversion. Although, I currently have a fear of even driving a car in the winter snow around here. There are so many idiot drivers. I Got rear ended last year by an 18 wheeler, and this year with my 3 month old in the back seat. Now, I am constantly looking in my rear view mirror..I don't enjoy driving as much as I used to.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Racer_Rick
Cruiser

In my younger days I had a '76 Electra Glide & rode it every day for 2 years. In Oklahoma we don't get a lot of snow but we get bitter cold. Nowadays I won't even start the Ironhead unless it's 50 degrees & sunny

Old 01-20-2009, 11:56 PM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here some more (even you didn't ask it for)
Riding height of the bike isn't changed, only front fender is lifted about 1"

Tyres look a like this, rally studs

Here is some offroad, shame that there is so little snow

Here on frozen sea

Last edited by sepixlh; 01-20-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:13 PM
calabeast
Advanced
Default From chopper to wideglide!

Cabinfever must havin gotten to me this past weekend. I am made some serious spur of the moment changes to the bike. I am sure that some hardcore ironhead fanatics may not agree with what I did, but it's my bike so....deal with it. First, I bought a fatbob tank and bolted it on. I still have to do all the paint and bodywork on it, but it drastically changed the look (for the better in my opinion). Second, I traded those long narrowglide forks for a set of standard rake and length wideglide forks with gators. I really liked the look of the long front end, but it did not feel safe to me. The bike did not sit parallel to the ground, all of the rake was in the triple trees and the trail was at approximtely -5". From what I've read...that is not a good thing. On top of that, there seemed to be some twisting action that I couldn't fix (even with a fork brace). I plan on bolting a hardtail kit which will lower the rear end even more. SO... I went to my local bargain barn here in wisconsin and saw the wideglide front end and decided to do a swap. I am now in the proccess of getting the billetwerx neck adaptor cups, timken bairings so I can bolt the forks on. Next I need to figure out the axle spacers, and front caliper. Has anyone out there put a wideglide kit on an 7/8" neck ironhead? Can I get my invador front rim, tire and rotor to work with this set up?

I will try to attach some pics tomorrow.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:57 PM
calabeast
Advanced
Default updated pics

Everything is dusty from all of the sanding and priming but here are some updated pics.

Quick Reply: I-RUN head!