Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

I-RUN head!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:49 PM
capt.rick
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calabeast
I tried fixing the leak. I put a new gasket on the primary pan and used gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket....but she still leaks. It isn't a very fast drip. Does anyone know if these chrome primary covers are more problematic? Should I replace it with something else? I actually thought about locating a little oil catch bowl somewhere on the bike so when I park, I don't leave my mark on my friends fancy concrete drive ways...almost like a kickstand plate...but a mini bowl..
Calabeast, Ive been fixing up a 69 with a similar primary leak,, what I did , and seamed to work well,, for at least two days now ,longest yet without a leak... Is get some gasket maker called " right stuff" automotive stores carry it, make sure both surfaces are clean and straight, apply to both surfaces, wait for about two minutes and set the cover on the case. dont tighten the screws all the way, just snug. leave overnight and clean up with a razorblade in the morn. I did tighten the screws a little tighter after that.. Oh yah I did not use a gasket. no leak so far...Rick

Old 03-11-2009, 11:16 AM
calabeast
Advanced

Thanks for the compliments and advice. I am going to get some right stuff sealer and see if I can fix this. I'd hate to have put this much effort into a bike and then have it leak. I can understand that sometimes it is just part of the nostalgia and they will leave thier mark...but I'd rather not have to deal with it all the time.

Some other updates on the bike (no pics).. but I did get my front fork stops made. It was tricky to come up with something that would work with the wideglide front end, billetwerx kneck cups (which seem a little taller) and the chrome frame. I made them with 2 pieces of flat steel stock bolted to the inside pitch of the bottom triple tree. They work great. I'll get pics on soon.

I have also got my kickstand fixed and started fitting my front fender up..and making spacers.

Since I got most of my parts used, I have no idea what model or year the Tank, front fender, front forks, brake caliper or carb came off of. Anyone think they can identify these parts?..my poor 66 ironhead bastard child ...

Old 03-12-2009, 11:18 AM
calabeast
Advanced

The twisted Z-bars are actually one of the parts that came with when I bought the bike. I am not 100% sure that I am going to keep them on yet.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:53 AM
calabeast
Advanced

It's been way to long since I posted to this thread. However, I finally got some motivation and made some more progress on the old iron. I've attached some updated pics. I recieved my hammer in hand hard tail kit on Friday and I bolted it up. This made the bike much longer and lower. I am happy with the new stance. This is still in the mock up phase...so the oil tank is temporarily wired in place until I can make some brackets. I am not sure that I'll be able to reuse the oil tank due to the fact that the chain might hit it. The fender is also just resting on the tire. I made the twisted handlebars 6" wider.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:52 AM
calabeast
Advanced

I bartered a complete day in the garage with my girl. All I had to do was watch our kid on friday night so she could meet her girls for a while. So..made some more progress. I purchased a different oil tank, foot pegs, grips, headlight accent, chain and masterlink. I am in the process of installing the new oil tank. The attached pics show the mounting brackets concept. I like the addition of copper to the color scheme and am contemplating putting on copper oil lines. This is not the final paint job, but I do plan on using the silver and black in the paint scheme. Can anyone give me some advice on running copper oil lines? Size? flare tools? Angles? fittings? Where to purchase? Can I use compression fittings?

Here is a little headlight piece I found at the Barn! She was solid rust...a little TLC turned it into this.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:45 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by calabeast
... Can anyone give me some advice on running copper oil lines? ...
A couple of guys on another forum have done this. One thing that i recall is that you have to install a flexible fitting between each end of the copper and the oil pump/oil tank - like a short piece of rubber oil line.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Ironkidzsled
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet ride! Thinking of putting some copper lines on mine to. Really like the bolt on hard tail to! Was thinking about getting a rigid frame for mine cuz I'd enjoy the added space/stretch/lowered height/look badass. You say that's a bolt on?! Did you have to put a longer chain or what? I know I'm ganna wish I had a fat bob tank when I make my ride from Dallas TX to Sturgis SD. Anyway good stuff man

Old 01-18-2010, 07:51 PM
calabeast
Advanced

Thanks Ironkidzsled! The hardtail kit is from hammerinhand. I would recommend it. bolts up great, and keeps the line with the backbone (most other bolt on hardtails do not). Plus, they are competitively priced and shipped extremely fast. I ordered on tuesday afternoon and had mine in hand by Friday afternoon. Yes, I had to lengthen the chain, I just bought another chain and cut it to length and attached it to the original one with another master link. Dallas to Sturgis...that is a long haul. I've done the Wisconsin to Sturgis ride twice. Hoping to change that to 3 times this August.

Ironmick...good advice, viberation and solid mounted tubes doesn't seem like a great combination..rubber on each end would solve a lot of issues.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:43 AM
calabeast
Advanced

Here is some pics of the copper tubes with rubber hoses at each end. work in progress.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:17 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts

I think the rubber at each end could be much smaller. I speak from no experience with this at all, just an opinion, and it would look better. Plain black rubber oil line pieces. Maybe 1", maybe less?

Quick Reply: I-RUN head!