Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

What type of baffle is good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 05:43 PM
depthordeath
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of baffle is good?

Hi all,

I own a 1980 Ironhead all stock. I have the XLR style Drags on it. I need to put in baffles for inspection but was also considering leaving then in for the increased torque at low end. I ordered a set of cheap 4" baffles. Is there any set rule for the best setup? Thanks!

Tom
LI, NY

Old 05-31-2009, 10:00 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

These are free, do not muffle the sound by much, and do increase the low end torque. The washer is about 3/4" OD although this is not critical; you can alter the angle of the washer to vary the effect ...

Old 06-01-2009, 08:26 AM
depthordeath
Intermediate
Default Thanks

Thanks Mick

I had read on that setup but didn't understand the config. Your pic helps with the understanding. Does it matter how far in the pipe it gets installed?

Old 06-01-2009, 09:12 AM
supr2nr
Tourer

Start from where your slash cut starts on your pipes. Measure about 2" in from there and place the baffle there. Or wrap a piece of duct tape around your pipe where your slash cut starts and at the other end of the duct tape mark and make your hole.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:17 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 604 Likes on 307 Posts

only thing about the lollipop is, I'm guessing it probably won't make it through inspection for him. I'm thinking he needs some kind of legal baffle to put in his exhaust. I haven't tried them and don't know about how legal they are as a baffle, but i've heard the Krome Werx baffle is a good choice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KHROM...3A1|240%3A1318

Last edited by d_slat; 06-01-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:29 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you choose to make your own baffle (A.K.A. washer baffle) I have a suggestion for you.
Since you will need welding done on this, I would first pick a washer (or make it) the same O.D. as the pipe I.D. and then cut the hex head off the bolt. Hacksaw a slot into the cut off end of the bolt, slip the washer into this slot. Now weld the two together. This will give you full coverage inside the pipe, and force 100% of the exhaust to exit via the smaller hole. This will dampen the noise and increase the back pressure.
On the other hand, you can buy a set of slip in baffles for about $8. Easy to insert, drill a small hole for the baffle, and you bolt it up. Done....... pg

Old 06-01-2009, 01:04 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Some pipes/mufflers will have a 1/4" hole already drilled near the end, on the unseen side, to be used for baffles. Otherwise, just do not put it back so far that you cannot install the bolt with whatever fat or skinny fingers you happen to have.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:10 PM
depthordeath
Intermediate
Default Thanks everyone!!!

Thanks for all the responses. I do need the baffle in for inspection so the little 4" $3.99 specials will be put in. I was just wondering after all these years has someone figured out the best setup for a stock 1000cc with drags. Oh well, Again thanks for all the help!

Tom

Old 06-01-2009, 10:29 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The inexpensive baffles are just what you need. These are the best thing you can put into straight pipes. It quietens things down a bit and gives you the perfect back pressure. A combination that cannot be beaten.......... pg

Old 06-06-2009, 08:52 PM
depthordeath
Intermediate
Default Got the baffles in

I just received the little 4" baffles. I put them in about 1 1/2 to 2" They do quite things down and get rid of the deep sound. I can say I don't like the way they sound but I'm giving them a chance. I rode around today checking throttle response and it all seems good. I do miss the deeper sound. I'll see how long I can put up with them.

BTW, I did pass inspection!!!

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Quick Reply: What type of baffle is good?